1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you pay for health insurance?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jun 29, 2012.

?

Pretty simple, where do you fall?

1. I have full coverage for me only and i pay nothing

3.0%
  2. I have full coverage for me and I pay less than $200 a month

26.9%
  3. I have full coverage for me and I pay between $200 and $500 a month

16.4%
  4. I have full coverage for me and I pay more than $500 a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have full coverage for my family and I pay less than $200 a month

7.5%
  6. I have full coverage for my family and I pay between $200 and $500 a month

26.9%
  7. I have full coverage for my family and I pay more than $500 a month

11.9%
  8. I do not have health insurance for myself

6.0%
  9. I do not have health insurance for my family

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Insurance for my family costs more than $1,000 a month

1.5%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, but you are going to love VRS once she hits 30 or 35 years in.

2. 93Devil

In many parts of the country $1,200 would equal your house and car payments. To say that insurance for healthcare should have a same dollar figure to me seems askew.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Healthcare is part of my compensation package. Like Boom, my employer believes providing top-notch, fully paid healthcare to its employees helps attract and keep good people.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like we have similar plans. What is your monthly group rate if you don't mind me asking?

It's clear that most folks have no idea of the true cost of
    health insurance.

The problem for employers is that while salaries are somewhat controllable, rising health care costs are not and increases directly affect the bottom line.

5. 93Devil

And that is why it amazed me when the public health insurance option was so fought against by small business owners.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't. One thing most small business owners despise is govt involvement in their business.The less bureaucracy the better.

7. 93Devil

So dropping them from your health care, raising their salary by $250 or $500 a month to cover the cost and you are still $800 in a black on the deal each month.

The government would be dealing directly with your employee or you sign them up for the government option through your workplace.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Would they feel the same if it meant a huge reduction in the number of tax deductions currently available to small businesses? Or access to SBA money?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Allowing health insurers to compete from state to state like car insurers do would lower costs drastically and keep the government out of it altogether.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Car insurers do not compete across state lines, at least not in the way you think. Every state has different standards on coverage requirements, and a company needs to be approved before offering insurance in a state.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which is still a much more competitive situation than the current set-up or the insurance-at-gunpoint Obamacare system.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have at various times managed benefits for governments. Normally a government plan will a contribution of no more than 30% of cost of the plan. Above that insurance companies will not give a group rate.

One thing that is not widely understood is that there are substantial economies of scale in the procurement of health insurance. Marketing, administration and underwriting costs are substantially lower on a group plan. So a large company or government can buy insurance collectively for it's employees at a rate below what the employees could buy it for individually.

I bring up this boring details because the idea behind Obama care if to have large pools for high risk individuals to achieve these economies of scale.

Draft saved Draft deleted