1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you pay for health insurance?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jun 29, 2012.

?

Pretty simple, where do you fall?

1. I have full coverage for me only and i pay nothing

3.0%
  2. I have full coverage for me and I pay less than $200 a month

26.9%
  3. I have full coverage for me and I pay between $200 and $500 a month

16.4%
  4. I have full coverage for me and I pay more than $500 a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have full coverage for my family and I pay less than $200 a month

7.5%
  6. I have full coverage for my family and I pay between $200 and $500 a month

26.9%
  7. I have full coverage for my family and I pay more than $500 a month

11.9%
  8. I do not have health insurance for myself

6.0%
  9. I do not have health insurance for my family

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Insurance for my family costs more than $1,000 a month

1.5%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just to give a little perspective to the SCOTUS thread...

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I pay the world to a bunch of felons who think they deserve a 25% return for pushing paper.

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

You're already covered under the ACA? Damn that was quick.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I doubt that either of you have voted yet. If people pay less than $200 for full coverage on a family, I am sure the board would love to know the employer. My wife works for a hospital and we do not pay that, but we have next to no co-pays.

5. Hokie_pokie

I voted. Wife's a kindergarten teacher and pays $180 a month for family coverage. I also have access to a good policy at work, but it's not that good.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm a state employee and wife was laid off in October. No kids. I went with the cheapest plan available and it costs me $550 a month to carry her on my plan.

7. I pay close to $600 a month for family health insurance that includes (partial) dental and (limited) vision and a $1000 annual deductible.
    My oldest has braces, so we are paying out pocket for that.
    I shell $60 a pop for eye exams and pay for either new glasses or contacts.

My insurance coverage is and has always been better than those offered by wife's employers, which have included two hospitals and a medical office complex.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I pay six times that.

Is it safe to assume your wife's incredibly low-cost coverage comes through the help of a teachers' union? Or a state or local government agency?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I pay abour $220/month for me and my wife.

If we had rugrats it would be about $310/month.

But what is "full coverage" anyway (since they are the only choices listed)?

My company offers regular, choice and premium. You can pay $10,000 for a family with rugrats if you select the "premium" plan. Is that "full" coverage whereas the others aren't? Do you get gold-plated bedpans for that? Will the hospital slam the door on you for certain things if you hold one of the lesser plans? I don't know, because I never even looked at such an option.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I voted. I am paying about $325 a month for a policy that carries me, my wife and daughter. Son has own insurance from his job. Does not include dental, but regular checkups for other specialties, eyes, etc. are covered with minimal co-pays.

11. Hokie_pokie

I don't know that the union had much to do with that -- could be wrong -- but she's been teaching in the same county for 19 years so I figure she's grandfathered into some pretty sweet local/state benefits.

For example, new teachers in our county now have to contribute a small percentage toward their own Virginia Retirement System benefits. My wife is 41 and will (hopefully) never pay a dime into VRS.

But I'll note that it's not that comprehensive. She pays extra for a vision plan and I carry dental for the four of us through my job since her school system dropped dental altogether 3 years ago.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That being the case, it seems ungenerous to gripe about a government intrusion into health insurance, when personally benefiting from a government intrusion into health insurance by a factor of magnitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted