1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, May 9, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Honest question, and tell me if it's fair: Why would anyone rationally want to pay their dues when the down-the-road salary rewards are not guaranteed, and actually unlikely, and when there are four-fold, five-fold, six-fold, seven-fold higher salaries readily available to smart people in other fields?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How is that different than any other period in history? Did 21-year-olds in 1982 not see their parents lose their jobs, too?

And I'd argue that a 21-year-old kid today had LESS of a chance of seeing that than any other generation, since the time his parents were working (1992-2013) were among the most prosperous in our nation's history.

Nobody "wants" to, of course. Because it's not fun.

But you still should be expected to in some capacity. The pre-med student will pay his dues (literally and figuratively) before he opens a private practice and makes $400K.

You're not "guaranteed" living until tomorrow, either. But that doesn't mean you cancel all insurance policies, cash out your 401(k) and so on. There is an implied understanding that "I do this today so tomorrow will be better" (even if there are exceptions to that).

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is true. You pay your dues in some capacity in all professions, frequently through the grind of graduate school. But at least the path to the brass ring in medicine is clearer and more guaranteed.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Wait. What happened to the art selling gig? I had been encouraged by your successful transition.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The kid out there who thinks he should be a drive time host in a top-X market making six figures the fall after he graduates, yes, he's a bit of a jackass. The kids, and older folks, here discussing why maybe 25K starting salaries for college grads in 2013 sucks is not that.

I don't think reasonable journalists are opposed to paying dues or working their way up if they thought it was realistic. I did, and there were a lot of times along the way when I thought it would never happen and I should think about getting out. I came in with 4-5 other part timers and I'm the only one that got any upward mobility. Maybe I'm good but honestly I just kind of feel lucky.

As for stepping outside their job description, depends what they're being paid and how they're being treated. If management is trying to get out of hiring more bodies, heck no you don't pick up the slack. I've seen too many folks paid entry level writers' wages with editors responsibilities piled on. Again, if its more hey learn this thing while Joe's out getting the dinner, different story.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I found this study, which showed that the median tenure of female workers overall went up slightly from 1983-2010.

However, the median tenure of male workers dropped considerably from when you see in the 1960s and 70s to nowadays.

http://www.ebri.org/pdf/notespdf/EBRI_Notes_12-Dec10.Tenure-CEHCS.pdf

Now, I would think that would also take into consideration an increase in the amount of women in the workforce.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Edit: Not sure where Jack's post went.

But to respond to his deleted post, it's FT work at the gallery but I don't get paid. Home, food, other stuff provided. They'll make car payment. For now it works. I keep their gallery open and flourishing, and they thank me by making sure I'm taken care of. It's a great arrangement. Plus, it's an art gallery, I get to see my goddaughters every day and there's zero stress.

And, I published my third book today: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/4333572-chalk-it-up-3

So please buy one. I only get $5 per sale on the small size and $10 per on the larger sizes. It's a good book!

8. JackS

JackS Member

Post is still right there at the bottom of the previous page.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

9. GWB

GWB New Member

I started at $8,900 ... but that was 32 years ago.

10. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

My first year out of college (1981) I made less than $6000 - night stock at a grocery, telephone solicitor selling baseball tickets, construction work, security guard. At age 26 I hadn't made a dime writing - was working in a library, about $12,000 but had some benefits. At age 35 I quit the day job and cashed in my retirement to try to write full-time. My first year I made $14,000.

11. Songbird

I've passed my best 3-day sales total since coming here 10 months ago. Been a strong Memorial Day weekend in spite of the rain Saturday and part of yesterday. Free beer helped Saturday.

12. Songbird

I've been working all angles trying to put the gallery on the virtual map so I volunteered us to be the first Bennington business with a Google Street View tour -- from the inside. It's basically Street View but done inside a business with 180-250 photos stitched together in a 360-degree collage.

We got it for free and I wrote several stories about its use as a strong business tool to give customers a chance to see your business at home and if they're intrigued enough they'll come and visit in person. It paid off for us 2 hours after going live when customers came into the gallery and bought some things.

Another 25 Bennington businesses have signed up and had them done. Today the guy came and shot another 230 photos in the gallery because I've promoted him so much since the last one.

Here's how it turned out: http://goo.gl/maps/jDO3v

For this one they added the mezzanine and the Graffiti Vault.

Draft saved Draft deleted