1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what do you know about st. louis?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Warning on the Arch _ I believe there's still some problems with getting to the top. Last I knew was one of the two trams that carry people up and down was out of commission, so the wait will be longer than normal.

If you go to Laclede's Landing, I suggest Jake's Steaks. And I highly recommend the brewery tour _ the kids will like it because they'll get to see the Clydesdales.

And, when you go to Busch Stadium, bring lots and lots of cash. Quite expensive to dine on ballpark fare there.

I-64/U.S. 40 through the city is also under construction. Might want to avoid.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yes, one tram up the Arch is still out. The other works. So there's probably even more of a wait now than usual.
    And the Highway 40 construction hasn't started in earnest just yet. It's a little messy at the intersection with 170, but otherwise OK, at least for a little while longer.

3. I second the thoughts on the Landing, Bowling Hall of Fame and the Bud tour, definitely all worth it. I even bowled at the BHOF, they have nice lanes.

Downtown try Charlie Gitto's, it's good stuff (italian). A bit pricey, but overall good stuff. Have fun, the Lou is a rough town but a fun one that loves the Cards. I had the opportunity to be in town during the WS win and it was crazy. GO CARDS signs all over the place.

4. I second all these.

If you like fried chicken, Hodak's on Gravois is excellent. Kid friendly, too.

Pueblo Solis on Hampton probably has the best Mexican in town.

As much as I loathe the Cardinals and some of their fans, I do like St. Louis as a city.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Or, my bad humor.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hacienda has pretty good Mexican too, if you can find one.

7. boots

boots New Member

Moses doesn't live there.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Don't miss the Museum of Westward Expansion in the basement of the Arch. Really good stuff, there. The Arch is neat, but the museum is much more fulfilling.

9. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Take the kids to the Magic House in Kirkwood. I loved that place when I was growing up.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

One thing I know about STL is if the New Madrid Fault ever decides to implode, it's probably going become the City of Atlantis in a span of about, oh, four hours.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

An STL resident here: All good choices so far. Fritz's and Ted Drewe's are both good. The Hill is loaded with outstanding (some of it pricey) Italian food.

Science Center is fun. Budweiser tour is good. Busch for a Cards game is fun, but everything inside is f-ing expensive.

I live in, and recommend to others avoiding, pretty much everything on the Illinois side of STL. I've not yet seen one part of the Ill side of the city that isn't a boring, mostly dangerous dump.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

If you can get away from the youngins for a night (even if you can't and think they might like it) and like Vietnamese, I'd recommend Miss Saigon in The Loop. Nice little place that won't break the bank.

And ditto on crossing the river to Illinois. No need to.

Draft saved Draft deleted