1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what do you guys think about results in a quote...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD Canon, Jun 23, 2007.

1. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

good point. sometimes — especially in the summer — we cover events like summer collegiate baseball (or even minor league baseball to a degree) where people don't really care who wins or loses.

we have two "semi-pro" teams in our town, and readers could really care less who wins or loses. it's just a bunch of out-of-town college kids they don't know playing in a wood bat league.

i think the score can be a throwaway in a quote for these stories as long as the report is more featury and doesn't revolve around that game's result.

but i asked the question because when i posted it, i was writing a deadline story and i had sort of written myself into a corner as far as the result. i wanted to get it high but it wasn't working and i shoehorned it into a quote.

as a reader myself, sometimes i just skim to the score in stories and move on. i just wondered if you guys/girls thought a result is too obscure in a quote when skimming. too hard to find, i guess.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No likey.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've done it that way on occasion as well, mostly in the heat of deadline. It's not optimal, and I wouldn't make it a habit, but I also don't think it's the worst thing you could do.

Things might be different at my paper, though. There is a premium, in gamers, on getting the score high. My SE would rather have the score slipped into a quote in the third graf than all by its lonesome in the fourth.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I try not to do it, but I've got no problem with it. Sometimes it flows, and sometimes it doesn't. But the deepest I've ever put the score is the third graph, and it's rarely anywhere but the second for me.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

Agreed. I use player stats that way sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted