1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you get when you cut Planned Parenthood funding?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 4, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Texas Legislature Online - 84(R) History for SB 354

Transferred contract authority from the AG to the HHS Commission for child advocacy centers and volunteer advocacy programs, in an attempt to provide better training, evaluation services and funding to children's advocacy center programs. Introduced by Republican Jane Nelson and signed by Republican Governor Greg Abbott.

Texas Legislature Online - 84(R) History for SB 830

Creates ombudsman position in the HHS Commission specifically to field concerns and complaints from foster children and other youth about placement and rights violations. Introduced by Republican Lois Kolkhorst.

Texas Legislature Online - 84(R) History for SB 1407

Seeks to reduce stigma around foster children by increasing access to normal, age-appropriate activities and resources under the discretion of the child's direct caregiver rather than a state caseworker. Introduced by Republican Charles Schwertner.

Governor's Budget Proposal of $40 million funding increase to DFPS - Texas Council of Child Welfare Boards

"The Governor’s budget includes funding to expand evidence based prevention programs, and makes available additional funding for “Family Based Safety Services” and for Parental Safety placements. All of these programs allow the Department of Family and Protective Services to provide much needed supports to struggling parents or other relatives – helping ensure children stay with their families as opposed to being removed and placed into foster care."

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

TINMDTTMAL

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Every sperm is great
    If a sperm is wasted God gets quite irate

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I take it you pulled that stat out of your ass while you were watching Making a Murderer?

However, abortions are actually not a big part of what Planned Parenthood says it does — 3 percent of the services it provided last year were abortion-related, according to the organization's annual report. (For a sense of the scope of that, abortions accounted for about 328,000 of the group's nearly 10.6 million services provided last year.)

Fact Check: How Does Planned Parenthood Spend That Government Money?

JC likes this.
  5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Condoms are a buck a piece or less and are available at almost any drug store or supermarket.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Keep trotting that "fact" out there.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did you even read my link above?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a tricky issue.

I'm against abortion. In all cases. Cheats personal sovereignty, IYAM. I solidly reject the idea that personhood begins with open-air contact. So, like, more babies being born, for me, is a good thing.

All that said, if you get Planned Parenthood, you will, in the long run, have one hell of a problem on your hands that you'd better be prepared to address in one way or another.

Now, I have my own ideas on how I'd do that, but many of my fellow abortion opponents have a less-than-exciting interest in that. So, on the one hand, they want to make abortions harder and harder to get cheaply and, on the other, some are recluctant to examine how you account for the babies being born beyond that "bootstraps, people, bootstraps" approach.

Long-term, it won't work. Eventually, that underclass of people who can't afford private abortions swells, you have to address it, or they're going to get pissed in a large-scale, violent way.

cranberry likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mean the one he supported in a post that you seem to be ignoring?

10. outofplace

So you shouldn't have any problem supporting programs that encourage their use and make them readily available. Just as you should be crusading for support of increased welfare spending.

11. outofplace

The new level of intellectual dishonesty was tony's claim that Tigervol's preferred outcome was abortion. The preference is better prevention of unwanted pregnancies or fewer people placed in situations where they feel the need to take that step.

Draft saved Draft deleted