1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you eat for lunch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jun 27, 2019.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

For years, I have brought frozen Healthy Choice meals to the office for lunch. They are inexpensive, taste OK and are relatively healthy. But I'm getting bored and find myself leaving the office more often for fast food, which means spending $5-$8 per day compared to the $2.50 or so for the frozen meal.

I know I can make a sandwich, but that takes a little planning and effort. So I'm looking for suggestions from the sj.com world for better options.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I do salads most everyday. Dark greens and light dressing is key.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Lunch is for wimps

/sorry, somebody had to say it.

MTM likes this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I ate a chicken pot pie at the coffee shop. Delicious.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've started making a large batch of something on Sundays - chili, curry, rice & beans - and putting it in containers. Just grab and go each morning.

6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I have read that some people like to bring leftovers. Pack it up and zap it. Maybe for a few days of the week.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Which leads to the next question: What should I make for dinner?

lakefront and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My wife and I meal plan on either Friday night or Saturday morning for the coming week. We usually have leftovers available for lunch.
    A usual grouping each week is one chicken dish, one fish (no leftovers there), a slow cooker meal (tons of leftovers there) and tacos or hamburgers. Now, being summer ... we add a grill night if the weather is good. Easy way to get TONS of food made at once.
    Fridays are a toss up/eat out. And Sunday is always a bigger meal that takes time to make (which means leftovers).

My wife is more health conscious, so she's usually a salad for lunch person. That leaves me with all the leftovers for the most part.

Batch cooking is what my co-workers and I did before we all left the paper we were at. Since we all worked nights, we would meet around lunchtime at someone's house on Monday and each make a meal for 4 people, then portion out everything and share. You cook one meal, you get 3-4 for the week, and it's already ready to be brought to work.

BrownScribe likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Turkey and Swiss wrap sammitch

Zzzzzz

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I've been eating packaged salads lately. Just some cheap bowl from the supermarket. Normally, I try to bring left overs from dinner.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Leftover fish. Zap it in the microwave, and you’ll be the envy of all your coworkers.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Then overcook the microwave popcorn for dessert.

Draft saved Draft deleted