1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you charge for freelance work?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JNEWFIFTY, Jun 29, 2009.

1. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

I'm about to enter the wonderful world of freelancing and being I really don't have a clue, what is a suitable amount to charge a website/publication for your time and effort?

I have a number in mind, but I think I may be low-balling myself.

If it matters, for this first assignment, I am being provided with all the contact information for the subjects I will be writing about.

Thanks for the help folks.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Oh, man....

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't charge, JNEW. You accept the crumbs and beg for more.

Oh, and I wouldn't accept an assignment without first agreeing on a price, personally.

4. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Agree on both points and I was going to just go with whatever they offered me, but this guy is asking me what do you charge and as I stated previously, I have no clue what to say.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

In my opinion, it depends on the kind of assignment you're getting.

I've done a few newspaper/online stories for $50 a pop. I got $75 for one story. But then again, I haven't gotten as many assignments as folks who do freelance work regularly.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a tough one, JNEW.

For example, I might pay someone between $50 and $200 to cover a live event, depending on how long it will take, how complicated it is, how desperate I am.

Some places pay by the assignment, some by the word, etc. A lot of websites don't pay at all.

So I would try to figure how much time it would take and go from there. Since you already seem to have the assignment, I would start with a higher number and see if it flies.

For example, if it will take you a week to complete, what's a week of your time worth? $100, $500, $1,000?

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I have been asked by more than one newspaper what I expect to get paid for a freelance assignment. I think we are all entering new territory here. More writers are looking for freelance work. More newspapers are looking for freelancers to assign stories to. Some papers pay me $50 a story, some $100. Some pay mileage, some don't. I have been paid up to $400 for magazine stories. It depends on the publication and the story. Always negotiate high and work down.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

Rules of thumb:
    * Features pay more than game stories
    * Magazines pay more (and usually by the word) than newspapers (which is usually a flat fee or by the inch)
    * Websites can pay more than newspapers but usually less than magazines

Possible bargaining chips:
    * If you have unique access to athlete/story
    * Complexity of the story
    * Years of experience as a writer
    * Years of experience covering that beat
    * Your accuracy record
    * Turn-around time (espcially if it's a feature and they need it right away)
    * Experience writing for major national publications

Non-factor:
    Whether the editor supplies the contact info (unless it's some sort of exclusive)

Hope that helps

p.s. Unless you're just out of college (or writing for a tiny paper), you should not be writing substantial stories for less than $100.

9. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

I lived off freelancing for a year after graduating in May 2008. I just recently took a job at a daily paper. I never took less than $50 per story but the way I always saw it was any money is good money. There are plenty of ways to make money as a freelancer, even though it's competitive, you just have to be willing to hustle.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly?

Whatever they'll pay me.

Draft saved Draft deleted