1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you bring to work for lunch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wheateater, Aug 9, 2010.

1. wheateater

wheateater Member

In the interest of saving money and eating a bit healthier, I've started bringing my lunch to work M-Th, allowing a burger and fries for Friday.

It's been going pretty well, but after a couple months of eating pretty much the same stuff over and over, I'm looking for some fresh ideas. My standbys are rice and beans, taco salad, chicken breast with veggies and rice, and chili. Usually bring an apple as well.

My goal is usually to bring leftovers from dinner, but all too often I get home at 8 or so and dinner never materializes. Laziness is a bitch.

So, for those SJers who eat lunch at their desks, what do you eat?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hot Pockets a lot of the time.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I started bringing Publix fruit salads that they make fresh every day -- I never thought I'd see the day -- or chicken or tuna salad, same kind of deal, with no bread. Just eat it with a fork. Best solution so far.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I mix it up every other day between chicken breast, brown rice and a veg one day to a grilled chicken salad the next. I'll mix that in with a turkey or chicken pita pocket sandwich with a handful of salt and vinegar chips. I'm eating healthier I'm not gonna leave out my favorite snack food for the rest of my life.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Two PB and Js on one of those sandwich rounds.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Healthy Choice frozen meal or deli meat sandwich with applesauce cup and pudding cup.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Years ago, I used to do some Michelina's frozen pasta that I could heat up in the break room. On other occasions, sandwiches. Bring some pretzels, a soda and perhaps something dessert-like.

These days, usually sandwiches and ginger snaps and usually a soda to sip on between trips to the water cooler. (Today, mac and cheese with some chicken for protein).

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Leftovers as much as possible. I need to get in the habit of making tuna sandwiches in the morning, especially when there are no leftovers from dinner the night before.
    I also have Hot Pockets stockpiled in the freezer, and a Subway across the street from the office.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I usually bring a sandwich (roast beef, chicken breast or turkey), bag of chips, pudding, fruit cup and banana. I also buy those Hormel Compleats and switch out with the sandwich.

10. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I wish I could do leftovers, but I hate the way our microwave here makes reheated food taste. So I mostly go with sandwiches. Last night, I made marinated chicken breasts for dinner but put one aside without any marinade and turned that into chicken salad for a sandwich. Another one I like a lot is BLTs -- I buy the bacon you can microwave, so I put mayo and lettuce on my bread in the morning before I leave the house (yeah, I don't like tomatoes), then when lunch time rolls around, I microwave the bacon and put it on the bread. Downside is I always get comments on the smell of bacon, but they're mostly envious comments as it seems to be kind of a treat.

I've done some Lean Cuisine-type meals here and there, and they weren't bad but left me still hungry. I've also made a few French bread pizzas (Stouffer's and Red Baron).

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I am mostly a fruit, yogurt and sandwich-type of guy. Canned Chef Boyardee is also an option every couple of months. When it gets cooler out, I get this instant Thai soup. Just mix noodles with hot water and flavor packet. (sort of along the lines of Ramen, but with a 1/3 less sodium)

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I used to do SmartOnes a lot, but stopped because despite the low calories the sodium is too high.

Draft saved Draft deleted