1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do We Really Know About Osama bin Laden’s Death?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, Hersh has moved into Noam Chomsky territory in which anybody and everybody speaking on behalf of the U.S. government, particularly the president, is automatically presumed to be among the most fiendish liars in the history of the world.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Fine, then we agree that it's not because of the mooslim-negro thing, and thus we agree that your prior post is wrong.

Still waiting for your evidence of these other prevalent theories besides Hersh's....

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's in large part because of the mooslim-neegro thing because Hersh knows there will always be a large and well-paying market of right-wing screechers eager to read anything portraying the M. N. as one of the most fiendish liars in the history of the world.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And at last we're at it ... Hersh is a victim of the right. If it weren't for the right's meany-pants booger-headedness, Hersh wouldn't have an audience for his loony-ness.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No, there's always a large market for conspiracy theories. Hersh's account can be best described as thinly sourced. If it was another writer, a lesser name, the NYT mag wouldn't have touched it.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The New York Times Magazine doesn't say that Hersh's story is the definitive account.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It should be noted, if you didn't get far enough into the article, that the New Yorker rejected the story for the weakness of the sources.

For those in and around the news business, the fact that Hersh’s report appeared in The London Review of Books and not The New Yorker, his usual outlet, was a story in its own right, one that hasn’t been told in full before. (Editors and reporters may not be as secretive as intelligence officials, but they like to keep a tight lid on their operational details, too.)
    But the bin Laden report wasn’t the first one by Hersh that Remnick rejected because he considered the sourcing too thin. In 2013 and 2014, he passed on two Hersh articles about a deadly sarin gas attack in Syria, each of which claimed the attack was not launched by the Assad regime, the presumed culprit, but by Syrian rebels, in collaboration with the Turkish government. Those articles also landed in The London Review of Books. Like the bin Laden article, each was widely questioned upon publication, with critics arguing that the once-legendary reporter was increasingly favoring provocation over rigor. (Hersh still stands by both stories.)

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Huh. Interesting,

Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder why it didn't get mentioned around here when the article first came out.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Huh. Got me AGAIN! Damn! Just guessing a lot of those posting on here didn't read the whole article. I had a tough time slogging though it myself.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It is a game of false equivalence.

NYT Mag presents Hersh's story and Bowden's story as being a binary choice when, clearly, Hersh's version is much weaker has much less sourcing and doesn't match up with literally all the other accounts that have come up in interviews and other publications.

The one that has, with some variation, is Bowden's account.

Also, I'm about 99.9 percent sure the New Yorker rejecting the Hersh account was mentioned here.

11. grantcow

grantcow New Member

When it comes to "definitive accounts" (if you have an hour + to read), this is by far, the most nuanced and informative take on this whole Hersh controversy. Not sure if it's been posted here, but I have yet to see any discussion or critique on it.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It definitely was.

Draft saved Draft deleted