1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do teen-age and young men listen to nowadays?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 19, 2016.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My son is almost 19 and listens to everything, except country. He went through the phase of current music followed by electronica and then '80s stuff. Now, his Spotify will jump from Beatles to hop-hop to disco. He told me the other day he's getting into softer rock.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I were to own a radio station (it's been a serious discussion at several points).......it would be wide open.
    If it's something you like, you'll hear it.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Springsteen
    Isbell

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Every person in radio I've ever read says that is a losing format. Tight formats are what works commercially.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There are quite a few Springsteen fans on the board, but as someone in his late 40s I don't qualify as a teenager or someone young :)

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I don't know how Chef's would differ, but the "Jack" format sounds similar to his description. In the markets around me, stations have tried it and the format hasn't lasted longer than a few years.

And honestly, the only thing worse than a newspaper to own today is a radio station (unless you're loaded and buy a LPFM and set low expectations).

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm out of the age range, but figured I'd throw a few out there ...

A couple of newer artists (first album late 90s or early 00s) in the rock format I'm into:
    Josh Ritter
    Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers
    Waco Brothers

A few (first album late 90s or early 00s) singer-songwriter / Americana format:
    Rod Picott
    Slaid Cleaves
    Dan Bern
    Tift Merritt
    Jason Isbell

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The legendary mythical days of completely free-form radio lasted about two weeks in 1971.

Actually many stations had free-form segments until the mid-to-late 1970s, but one principle held true: if the taste of the free-form DJ was close to yours, those shows were great; if not, they sucked absolute ass.

For instance, i am a super Beatlemaniac and a whiz on John Lennon. Do I think any radio listeners would want to listen to the 1960s John-Yoko albums consisting of backwards tapes, audio-verite sound effects and atonal screaming? Aw, hell no.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

21 Pilots
    Drake
    Coldplay
    Machine Gun Kelly
    Lukas Graham
    Kendrick Lamar
    Skrillex
    Major Lazer

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I bet not. No fucking way you're popping a Gregorian chant CD on there for me.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of my crew asked for a night off to go see Coldplay. I told her no, that I was doing it for her own good. She also wants a night off to see Adele.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Bob and Jack formats would be different than mine.
    Their stuff is geared more to a younger group, where mine would gear to an older group......Neil young, pink floyd, Metallica, Frank Sinatra, Neil diamond,
    Cher, chili peppers, Garth brooks, luke Bryan, Alan Jackson.......

Draft saved Draft deleted