1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do I Do With VHS Tapes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, when I was a high school basketball player in the early 1990s, I recorded everything basketball (NBA Showtime, every game of the NCAA Tournament, regular season NBA games, you name it — I have the Webber timeout on tape, still).

Anyway, I cleaning up this pack-ratted mess. I'll keep a couple of my favorite games and shows. But otherwise, it's all getting the heave ho.

My question: Are VHS tapes recyclable? Are they good for anything? What the hell, or how the hell, do I dispose of these things?

On a side note: Have any of you kept anything on tape this long and can't get rid of it?

I've kept a couple of my play-by-play performances from my first year out of college. No way will I use them for a portfolio, but they're some of my first work.

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I still have stuff on VHS that I don't know what I'm going to do with, so I just lug it around with me in a box as I've moved. Some are sporting events that my father taped - 1986 Masters and all three games of the Giants' 1986 playoffs, for example, but I converted those to DVD - others are kind of worthless in the long run. I do, however, still have this tape of televised cartoons, such as Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown Christmas, et al. I was 8, because there's commercials on there that say, 'Hurry! Offer expires Dec. 31, 1984."

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have so many tapes that I can't bear to part with, even as I pack for a move.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I have every episode of Twin Peaks, recorded as they aired. I'm still carrying them around. I even have the gold DVD box set with all of it and then some, but it doesn't matter. There's something about seeing my local news breaks and the Chevy Citation commercials. I just can't bear to part.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I used to do the same thing with the World Cup and European Championships when I was growing up.

Goodness knows what my parents did with them when I moved here.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, you're not going to like my first guess.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seeing as how we never, ever, had a home video camera growing up, I'm ruling that one out.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

What about the neighbors? ;)

Pete, I'd look into getting them transferred to DVD if you want to save them that much.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ha! That wasn't my guess. It was "chucked into the garbage."

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I've got lots of old Super Bowls, NBA playoffs and college games.
    Plus some play-by-play and coach's highlight shows I anchored on local TV.
    Keep it all, I say. Just box it up.
    Except for the Twin Peaks episodes, Seinfeld, South Park and the like.
    Chunk that stuff!

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The VHS tapes can just get chucked in the garbage.
    If it's stuff from the 70s, 80s or earlier I was going to suggest trying to find collector's sites as there are sports nuts who collect those things. But I'm pretty sure the 90s are pretty well covered.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, today is garbage day. A fairly good sized box of VHS tapes is sitting at the curb. I kept what I wanted and will transfer those to DVD.

Otherwise, everything else is off to meet the VCR in the sky.

Draft saved Draft deleted