1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did you think in 1998?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 9, 2014.

1. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

I use to shake my head in disgust every time I'd see video of the Cubs' clubhouse and the media was laughing and buying Sammy Sosa's Flintstone Vitamins routine.

Even Ray Charles could see he was a complete phony and a PED user but that didn't seem to occur, at least publicly, to many of the Chicago beat writers/columnists.

Pretty much Barry Rosner of the Daily Herald was the only one who publicly didn't buy Sosa's act.

Some of the others unfortunately acted like they were part of Sosa's PR machine.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Chris Benoit sure seems like a nice, upstanding family man.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There's no way in hell the Spurs will even sniff an NBA championship.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I couldn't wait to get home to play with my sweetie's toys.
    And I still feels that way.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Boy, tough crowd if you were still thinking that the year after they drafted Duncan and Robinson came back.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Thought the sportspages.com forum was the greatest thing ever...

Thought rock and rolll would survive in the 21st century...

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I should quit my stable but boring corporate job and instead of the occasional freelance gig, get a full-time job at a newspaper.

Sure, I'll make a little less money but it will catch back up because newspapers will be around forever!

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Wonder what we'll be saying in 2030 about what we think in 2014 that sounds ridiculous?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

[​IMG]

OF COURSE I'll be watching this 15 years later.

(And I am!)

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Seriously? Tim Duncan was coming off an All-NBA rookie season, and David Robinson was still really good. They went 56-26. The Jazz and Rockets were old, and the Bulls, Suns and Sonics had fallen apart.

The Spurs had to be no worse than fifth in title projections for 1998-99 (which the lockout turned into the 1999 season).

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Bulls didn't fall apart until after the lockout, when Jordan retired a second time and Krause blew the team up. Nobody could foresee that in 1998. Also, the Jazz and Blazers were still very competitive in 1999. And who saw the Knicks do what they did to reach the Finals?

Again, this was what I thought in 1998. The inference being of course that it turned out way different.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was thinking only 2 years left of that dirt bag in the White House.

Draft saved Draft deleted