1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did you think in 1998?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm breaking this topic away from the main baseball HOF thread, because I'm interested in this specific question, doing some mental time-traveling of my own this morning as I got ready.

Baseball writers are catching a lot of flak, as they do every year at this time, for not uncovering the steroid scandal - until they did, via Tom Verducci's bombshell in SI.

I don't recall that steroids crossed my mind in 1998. I did start to sour on the home run chase at some point because I started to figure, looking at home run totals the last few years leading up to that, including McGwire's 58 home run season, that the ball was juiced. And I think a lot of people who remembered 1987 probably thought the same thing.

What did you think?

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I seem to recall having known about it. I was just a teenager, but it made sense to me - you use steroids, you get big and strong, you hit the ball farther.

I always thought the reason the story never came out was because nobody would go on record and there was no hard evidence, and no journalist wanted to face a libel suit.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought impeachment was a ridiculous waste of time that hurt the country.

Still think that.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I thought I knew what the words "trolling" and "lying" meant ... :D

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not here to talk about the past.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I thought then as I do now that the majority of the players were using something and didn't care a that they were.

The question is, how could you not think something was wrong? Steroids and supplements were not some hidden secret.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What a cute, sweet girl. With a solid family structure behind her, she'll surely avoid the excesses of Hollywood.

[​IMG]

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I do remember that '98 was smack in the middle of what seemed like a golden age of magical supplements. Everyone who cared enough about their physique to exercise - not me - was taking creatine, Andro, whey protein, Ripped Fuel (aka "ephederine," which ended up killing multiple athletes) and whatever else EAS and similar companies were rolling out there. It seemed perfectly plausible to me that legal supplements were transforming these guys, because everyone I knew believed that legal supplements were going to transform them, as well.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thought these two starry-eyed kids would be together forever:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10261642/mlb-hall-fame-voting-steroid-era

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought that the players were probably using whatever they could get their hands on.

But the drug era also happened to hit at exactly the same time as people's understanding of what to do and how to do it in the weight room exploded and things like pylometrics moved out of the exotic and into the mainstream.

A change of thinking also happened. Baseball players, in particular, weren't expected to lift weights and do exotic training. That flipped in the late 80s.

Steroids aren't magic. What they do is let people recover faster. So all those guys hitting it hard, needed something and baseball has always been a drug-infused sport. Taking steroids was a natural step from greenies, etc.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Between newspaper gigs, I quit a dishwashing gig mid-shift just for a chance to see if McGwire could tie Maris. That's what the '98 Chase meant to me. The story is longer than that, of course.

Bottom line: McGwire grounded out to second.

Draft saved Draft deleted