1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did you get for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I got a cat calendar, some English breakfast tea and a Downton Abbey mug from a friend. From my parents, I got a new leather coat, a nice Nike hoodie and a new pair of tennis shoes, which I badly needed. I haven't done Christmas with my friends yet.

EDIT: Been thinking about getting myself a Fitbit One (I give myself presents, it's pathetic)...might have to do that in the next month.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My first grandchild. The rest was just things. :)

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A new house. Pretty much takes the pressure off a husband and wife from having to buy anything else.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Clothes. Bluetooth headset for my phone. A framed print from the stadium of my fave football team. Gift cards and cash that I turned into cold weather workout gear and a new pair of running shoes.

And then there are the intangibles: I got to see Mrs. Novelist's reaction when she opened her biggest gift -- theatre tickets. I got two-plus weeks with both my kids at home. I got a week with zero work.

As someone mentioned, much more than I deserved.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I do DDP Yoga. Back problems for me, too. I found that the first two levels are fine. The easiest level is like having a good stretching session mixed with a bit of physical therapy and light cardio. The second level added a bit. After that, my back just isn't in good enough shape for the tough, high-level fat-burning exercises.

So, being a cheap bastard, I burned the discs to my computer and scanned the poster that shows the stretches. I kept the MP3 files. Then I took everything and put it on eBay and got 90 percent of what I bought it for (because some people are just stupid, I guess). I still have what I need to exercise.

But I'm glad I've got it. And really, once you learn the routines you don't need the video. The MP3 files take you through the exact same routine, and you'll know the order of stretches after a week or so. Good luck.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Beats by Dre phones.
    Treat from my beautiful wife.
    So powerful.
    I cranked Back in Black the other day and it about blew me out of my chair.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I am so intrigued by those. I have headphones on constantly, so I wouldn't mind splurging on an expensive pair, but it gets hard to justify $200-$300 for headphones.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Well, I am a bit of an audio purist.
    I spend a lot of time traveling distances.
    I find them well worth the expense.
    They are engineered to present the music as the artist intended.
    And they color the sound in favor of aggressive styles of music, as is my preference.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sugar Bowl tickets

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife and I agreed to scale back this year in favor of a couple of upgrades around the house after Christmas.

We're going to spring - ahem - for a new mattress in January.

I got some decent stocking stuffers, including the Captain America DVD and a Doctor Who sonic screwdriver.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A 0-degree sleeping bag.
    A hunting/camping knife with a firestarter built into the pommel.
    A Stormy Kromer cap.
    Two new cycling jerseys.
    A really nice shawl-collar sweater.
    Cash

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

a few T-shirts
    a pint
    a gift card which was turned into the new Johnny Cash bio and a Planet of the Apes behind the scenes DVD
    The biggest gift was my mom, dad and MIL got to come for a week and see our baby boy take some of his first steps. That was pretty sweet.
    Other than that...a few odds and ends for my wife and I (stuff from Pampered Chef, a bookshelf and a new TV that we bought)

Still waiting for my favorite gift: six pack and a blow job.

Draft saved Draft deleted