1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did The Office mean to you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, May 7, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ah, I read it as Batten when I first saw the name, and my mind has been screwing it up since. Anyhoo, up there with Cub Koda as one of the best rock n roll names ever.

And looking back, I discovered that Brittney Griner cost us Double Down.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There were certain moments that stood out.

This might be as funny as anything they have ever done.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It still blows my mind that Creed was the lead gutarist for The Grass Roots.

4. joe

joe Active Member

This thread is in serious need of a Double Down breakdown.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It established Pam as the ultimate sweet Scranton girl, which made it so hot when she showed up talking dirty as a hooker in a movie:

<u>HEY: AUDIO <b>NSFW</b></u>

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

"The Dundies. How can I explain it."

The show was a coping mechanism of sorts - when people complained about bad bosses, somehow Michael Scott came up.

Didn't get into the series until I watched this SNL digital short about five years ago:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/digital-short-the-japanese-office/n12263/

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Shows that debuted and hit their peak in my mid/late-'20s are fading into the sunset.

This season, it was 30 Rock and now The Office. Next year it will be How I Met Your Mother.

Yet, ABC hangs onto the dead horse than is Grey's Anatomy like a family heirloom.

And to affirm an earlier point in this thread, Parks and Rec is funnier than The Office has ever been.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Last night's episode (AARM, Jim finally gives Pam the note) was one of the best they've done in a while. If they could have gotten rid of the Andy storyline, it would have been an all-timer.

It was nice, though, to see Aaron Rodgers take another step in recreating Brett Favre's entire career. He's matched him in Super Bowl rings and now has a terrible, wooden acting appearance as himself to match Favre in "There's Something About Mary." Just a dong shot and a couple of late-career team changes to go!

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

For all the complaints about Andy's personality swings and Dwight's evolution into a cartoon, the one that bugs me the most is what they did to Kevin. He started out as an interesting character with real personality and a rich life - singer in a band, great at poker, etc. - and wound up, from what I can see, mentally challenged.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Yeah, but even then, they still gave him an absolutely brilliant gem of a line every now and then. Such as the one from last week, when Kevin chimed in on Andy's showbiz dreams: "Nobody is going to hire you ever. You’re too character-y to be a lead, and you’re not fat enough to be a great character actor."

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You probably don't need a cut line to find him.

[​IMG]

And they were pretty good...

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I love Parks and Rec too, but the reverence for it here in comparison to The Office is a little ridiculous. Leslie and Ben can be like nails on a chalkboard and Andy has been lobotomized in much the same way Kevin was in The Office. The way both are frequently portrayed makes it clear they shouldn't be capable of putting on pants and tying their shoes, let alone hold down jobs.

Parks and Rec has also begun to show its age, though I still like it and still watch it.

I get all the criticism for The Office, the drastic changes in characters and the way the show ditched a masterful subtly for ridiculous slapstick humor. The second and third seasons were among the great seasons in TV history, in no way taking a back seat to Parks and Rec or anything else.

These last couple of episodes haven't been too bad, either, as most of the characters are coming back to Earth. They're finally wrapping up plot lines that should have been tied up in about season 6, and its nice. You're missing out if you're not watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted