1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What constitutes a "helluva sports editor?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Don Drysdale, Apr 4, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's one of mine, too, although few seem to agree with me based on what I read all over the place.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Methinks you both are making much ado about nothing.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, but a helluva sports editor wouldn't let "Methinks" get into print either.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm guessing grunt meant that as an expression ...

"An empty suit tends to refer to a non-important person — perhaps someone puffed up with his own importance but really having little effect on the lives of others. It is often used as an insult to disparage others who really don’t deserve the title. The true empty suit, which conjures up the image of a business suit of clothing without a person, really doesn’t know what he or she is doing. He or she is ineffectual, perhaps a phony, and is about as relevant or helpful as a suit hanging on a rack."
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-empty-suit.htm

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to compromise and go with empty sweat suit.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This is true. I would like to think most SEs would like to trust people and not micromanage. But you have to have a responsible, professional staff for that to be the case, and, unfortunately and especially in these times, not all staffs are capable.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Especially if the SE before you hired them. Which becomes the next SE's alibi too.

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Ellerbee's the best I've had, and he's been through the ringer in Atlanta. He's basically lost his entire preps staff. Sad to see a top-flight editor have to go through that.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Vastly underrated guy who got out of the biz too soon: Jim Nasella, who was an assistant or the head guy at Youngstown, Daytona Beach, Tampa and Jacksonville. I can tell you one thing from talking to guys who worked for him -- he always, ALWAYS had his writers' backs.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A helluva sports editor, circa 2009:

Someone who takes the buyout rather than having to personally pink slip some good people.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. Also a good point. That goes beyond "helluva" to "super helluva".

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I had seven over a 17-year period, not including my stint as an SE for 10 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted