1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Companies/CEOs do you admire?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've always been kinda torn on Vince McMahon.

On the one hand, I give him credit for having a vision to get pro wrestling in the mainstream, to bring his company national at the risk of, frankly, getting shot by some crazy underworld promoter whose territory he was destryong, for taking a major financial risk with the first Wrestlemania, and for, in Terry Funk's words, being hardcore because he's a millionaire who (at least back then) took chairshots to the head and got beat up even though he didn't have to because it was his company.

On the other hand, I'm not crazy about him screwing over the guys who helped make him a success through one-way contracts that get ripped up at his whim (you think NFL contracts are bad?), his "I'm not responsible, they don't work here anymore" response every time you hear of a former WWE-er dying from steroid/drug use even though he's the one implying that he wants super-great bodies instead of just very good, his willingness to embarrass his employees (see the contract issue), for going back on his word (He agreed to buy out Stu Hart, then never paid), and his occasional ignoring of the fans' wishes (it took months to get Zach Ryder back on TV). Oh, and his broadcasting used to drive me nuts.

So that pretty much sums up my thoughts on VKM.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've been impressed with Ford - aside from a sorry record running a football organization - I've been really pleased with my Ford Escape, the customer service, the constant seeking of feedback on what they can do better.
    Whoever runs the operation at Claim Jumper restaurants does a good job.

Always liked Dave Thomas from Wendy's. Seemed like a CEO who actually enjoyed his product and didn't see business as a mere numbers enterprise.

Also really impressed with the job Nancy Brinker did with the Komen Foundation - merging philanthropy with marketing.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've long been impressed with Richard Branson's vision. I don't know much about him personally, but I like that he's at the forefront of trying to make space travel a commercially-viable industry.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The Ramapough indians of New Jersey would like a word.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1498566/

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Even remotely liking McMahon goes against everything you have said on other threads. He treats his workers like absolute dogshit but since you get enjoyment out of it it is ok?

Since you boycott big buisness that treats their employees poorly is it not the height of hypocrisy to support one the slimiest of CEO's there is?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Um no, I've never said I boycott big business that treats their employees poorly. I may not use the business regularly (like Wal-Mart for instance. I might go there twice a year, if that, for something I need when other stores are closed), but I don't recall ever yelling out "BOYCOTT ALL BIG BUSINESS!"

And if you'll read my post, you'll see that I admire him for having a vision that a lot of people either didn't have, or the guts to implement, and for setting an example with his work ethic. In his 60s, he still reportedly works plenty of hours and gets beaten up on occasion. He's not some talentless CEO who comes in, collects bonuses, sits in an office, and leaves with a golden parachute. I can respect that.

And if you also read what I said, I wasn't too crazy about how he treats his wrestlers. Problem is, there's very little alternative. Every promoter treats their wrestlers poorly. It's ingrained in the business. I suppose I shouldn't watch wrestling any more. But I could say that about any entertainment. I could say that I shouldn't watch the NFL because they make fans pay for PSLs and have unguaranteed contracts, for instance.

And if the wrestlers unionized, I'd be very happy for them. Except, they're too scared they'll lose what they have.

I'm a liberal Democrat, but I can respect some Republicans who don't act like they're batshit crazy, even if I don't agree with them. Does that mean I can no longer be a Democrat? Seriously? Is everything black and white, or are there shades of gray?

I've been a wrestling fan since I was a kid, and I've watched competing brands as well. There's things about the business that I don't like. But there's also plenty of things that I do like.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I go with New Balance. They make quality shoes and while some work has been off-shored, a majority is made in either the U.S. or U.K. (for the European market).

Workers like the place so much that when the factory in Lawrence, MA burned down 10 (?) years ago, they all deferred checks so the company could rebuild.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Steve Jobs was noted to be tough on his employees, so was Jack Welch.

I hold out hope that Paul Levesque will be a more caring CEO for the WWE.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Craig Dubow.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe Vince McMahon is particularly philanthropic and pays a lot of taxes.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He also takes less profit to make sure everyone in his company makes a decent wage and has health care.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He has provided employees with ground breaking prescription plan.

He has a solid record on affirmative action

Hires weight challenged and older people.

Draft saved Draft deleted