1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What causes do you make time for?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TyWebb, Sep 29, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I was talking to my girlfriend the other night (who knew she had a voice. Just kidding ladies) and she posed an interesting question. She is very involved in dog rescues and asked me to join in. But there were just too many conflicts with my job. Then she hit me with this:

"Don't you get tired of not having any causes you are passionate about?"

I had to answer yes, and I couldn't fall back on the "no time" answer because we all have an hour here or there to do something important.

So I seek the help of the posters. I want to get involved, I just don't know with what. What causes do you find time for given the busy lives of sports journalists?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I do what your girl does. I'm fairly involved with critter rescue organizations. I'm thinking about fostering, but I don't know about mixing other pets with Stan and the girl cat.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i help supply christmas presents for needy kids. ... does that count?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid post, buck. but my kids have three sets of GPs. real-real, real-step, real-step. seeing all the crap they get/got at christmas is what motovated me to start doing what i do.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To answer the question, sadly, none.

Always thought about doing some community service around the holidays, never did. Thought about doing the Big Brother thing before, never did. Thought about being active with the church, never did.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I like doing stuff with or for kids. Sometimes it's just as simple as reading to classrooms on Dr. Seuss Day or speaking at a career day. A few years ago I helped coach a baseball team and had a blast with it. I still have the ball all the kids autographed for me at the end of the year. I'm hoping to help coach a basketball team this year. Just your basic CYO squad. Not sure if my schedule will allow it, but at least I've gotten in contact with some people to try and make it happen.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There have been a few times when I haven't had to cover a Thanksgiving Day football game when I've gone over to the local soup kitchen and helped serve meals. Have also done this on Christmas Day a few times.

There are several charities I give money to every year, but unfortunately I haven't made the time to participate in the charity walks and other events those charities have.

8. My girl is big into the breast cancer research cause, so whenever I can I'll buy the products with the pink logo thing (like the yogurt, cooking gear, etc.) I also give a percentage of my salary to it during the Combined Federal Campaign (the largest charity campaign for Federal employees). She does the walks through her grad school, etc.

It's not much, but I guess it's something. :-[

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Volunteering has become my biggest offline hobby. I'm a member of a statewide organization that is affiliated with the Hands On Network, groups like New York Cares and Hands On Atlanta. They put out a monthly calendar so individuals can pick projects that best fit their schedules and interests, whether it's working with seniors or the homeless or animals or just stuffing envelopes.

I also used to volunteer at the local animal shelter, and might go back soon 'cause I really miss the kitties. (It's amazing how petting a lapcat can reduce stress!) I'm currently waiting for final approval to become a volunteer at the hospital down the street, hopefully playing with infants and children, maybe delivering books to grownup patients as well.

I kinda want to do Habitat for Humanity, but I think I'd wind up sawing off a finger. :eek:

10. Faithless

Faithless Member

I did little-to-none community service during my 11 years as a sports writer. But I've done a hell of a lot in the other 11 years split between online and community journalism.

For starters, I was brave enough to take on the presidency of two PTAs. Not at the same time, of course .. I'm not that crazy. But when the stay-at-home moms didn't step up to run the PTA, I did. I consider my first presidency, with an elementary school PTA, my biggest achievement; I started a spring fling festival in 1999 and it remains the group's chief fundraiser.

I was a member of a non-profit education group that raises money for teacher grants in our school district. I did that for seven years, serving three one-year terms as president and a half-year as interim co-president when the chief bailed out in the summer and left the organization in disarry. I stepped up to the interim role and helped reorganize the group. We receive United Way funding every year, so I've done a lot of song-and-dances for fund distribution committees to justify why would should receive UWay bucks. I resigned from the board after last year; just felt like I had done my time.

Inspired by my own family's fight against cancer, I served two years as publicity chair for the local Relay for Life. And when I wasn't begging for money from the United Way, I was on the other side of the table serving on the UWay funds distribution committee, reviewing other agencies and helping decide who received what.

And to top if off, I was once a Civitan. I was pretty damn good at selling Vidalia onions, but I sucked when it came to peddling fruitcakes.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My wife and I volunteer with a Border Collie rescue group. There aren't many things as rewarding as picking up a dog that's on a euthanasia list at the pound and taking him to his new foster home.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I've never been very active in such things, but I am about to dive in pretty hardcore, mentoring a high school senior from SE Washington DC through the college application process. I start next month and go through May.

Draft saved Draft deleted