1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What bones have you broken?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Jan 14, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably the same one I broke on my left hand. Tip of the finger and a cut that took seven stitches to close. Weight room accident when I was in high school. For those of you who have seen squats done with two sets of pins -- one high and one low--- and you have somebody on each side pull the top pair. When the person is done, you put them back in.

Well, the doofus on the other side put his back in when the guy wasn't done. He tips. I instinctively reach out and I'm not even sure if it was the weights or bar that clipped my finger. I turn to yell at the other spotter, not even knowing I'm hurt until somebody else saw blood and pointed it out to me.

Also broke my elbow while playing basketball. Lesson I learned there is that there is no comfortable way to rest with a broken elbow. Didn't sleep much that night.

Also broke a wrist and my foot when I was really young, not to mention a cut on my eyelid that needed stitches as a toddler.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Left tibular plateau, the bone right below the kneecap. Shooting prep football video and got run over on a kickoff return.

Do. Not. Want.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

No bones, just a high ankle sprain while playing basketball.

Then again, I've had a pilonidal cyst and spent my first three months in an incubator, so I suppose that somewhat makes up for the lack of breaks.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

too many to list but the worst was a compound fracture of the ankle where it was turned around backwards and bone came through the skin. and the kicker was that they couldn't put me under for the surgery because i had been drinking (1st year of college so surprise, surprise) and they were also stitching up a crack in my head from the same stupid dorm stunt.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Nary a one, hamdullah, including the time last summer at the ranch when a horse flipped over on top of me. Sprained and concussed, but the bones stayed intact.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Right wrist in first grade and left wrist in second grade. The left one was broken while I was twisting around on money bars, so the bones haven't lined up normally since. You know that lump on the upper outside of your wrist, where the bone kinda takes shape? My left one protrudes much more than most people's. Not immediately noticeable, but it changes the way I lift weights and pops from time to time.

I exacerbated the left-wrist situation when I jumped off a moving car's hood when I was an idiot 19-year-old (as redundant as that sounds) and got a stress fracture.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Right index finger in fifth grade. Got hit with a pitch playing little league and missed just about all of my 11-year-old season.

Left wrist in sixth grade. We were playing hide and seek in the woods. My friends were chasing me and I tried to jump over this open storm drain, apparently tripped on the edge of it and fell hard on the metal. Could've been worse, though. When I tripped I was perpendicular to it. I somehow did a 90-degree turn in mid-air and landed in the thing, or else I would've smacked my head on the other side and the rocks around it.

And in ninth grade I broke my right thumb. On a kid's face.
    I didn't think it was worth it for a long time, then I remembered how much of a douchebag his older brother was and how much bigger he was than me. I couldn't beat up the older brother (he was about 6-2 and I was 4-11), so I had to settle for his annoying little brother. That helped me make peace with it.

8. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Broke a thumb during a baseball game. Swung at a fastball, and the ball hit my thumb directly. For whatever idiotic reason, I finished the at-bat. Moved a guy on first base to second.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I broke my arm in a fight when I was a sophomore in high school.

My family had moved to Indianapolis towards the end of my freshman year and early in my sophomore year I knew virtually no one. On top of that, I was really short (5 foot tall around that time), so I got a lot of teasing as a result.

I was walking home from school and a bunch of kids about 2-3 years younger than me rode by on their bikes and one them talked shit as he rode by. In that 15-year-old mindset, there was no way I was going to let go, so I yelled, "Why don't you come back here and say that to my face, assholes!"

Already a stupid move considering I was outnumbered, like, 5 to 1.

The biggest kid emerged from the pack. He was a load, only slightly taller than me, but much wider. What I didn't know is that he was an accomplished wrestler. He went up to my face and said, "What did you say?"

Me, still being stupid as fuck, said, "I called you an asshole!"

And then I punched him in the face.

The fight was on. I had been in fights before and I held my own for a while, but it was only a matter of time before the dude I was fighting got sick of trading punches and just decided to impose his physical will.

When he did, he grabbed me, picked me up and slammed my right shoulder into the ground. My bone broke right at the top of my right arm at the junction with the collarbone.

I immediately screamed in pain, and this dude being a wrestler, he knew what had happened. He immediately began to apologize, probably shocked to the marrow that the move he did (its name escapes me), actually broke someone's bone.

I was in a sling for a few months, but it was my own damn fault. I've used my dumbassary as an example to my kids as far as controlling their temper.

The kicker is that the kid I fought later won a state wrestling championship at my high school after I graduated, so at least I got my ass kicked by someone who accomplished something.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Lisa, you have to tell us - how did you break both wrists at the same time?

I broke my collarbone wrestling in PE in Grade 7. I've also broken my right hand twice while fighting, once at age 16 in a real fight (behind the big knuckle) and once in a play fight at age 28 (behind the pinky knuckle). Typing with a cast on was lots of fun!

I've also had a sprained thumb and a sprained wrist, both as teens, and both of which probably hurt as much as breaks would have. The thumb came from a friend running into my ball glove at full speed while I was trying to tag him out. The wrist happened when I was at a playground near my house and I stupidly thought I could walk down an icy slide in January. Duh.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Finger, toe, spine.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Left little finger, bone closest to the palm. Was catching a low pass and I trapped the football with my finger tips. Didn't really hurt. Just swelled to twice its normal size. Never got it looked at, but I think I broke my nose; got hit by a baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted