1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are we allowed to talk about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, what do you suggest when we see board policy being violated? It was being violated before Starman jumped in. Of course, you are right that Starman only inflamed things, but based on my experience here, I find it hard to believe anything would have been done if he had chosen to report it instead.

And I'm not trying to play innocent here at all. I know I've done my share of inflaming things. I'm just saying that sometimes the inconsistent enforcement around here is also an issue.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Time to bench Roethlisberger -- he's just mediocre -- and bring in Landry Jones.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I blame junior high school soccer.

4. Morris816

Morris816 Member

So may I start the debate?

Tastes great or less filling?

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I ask again, can we discuss Penn State?

And what about Memorable Farts? I named two: Mongolian Fart and Dead Whale Fart, but alas dooley quickly suggested the thread be killed by fire in order to have me spared the wrath of flying headbutt.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Contrary to popular belief, the mods aren't looking at every single post on every single thread. It's impossible. It's why the "Report to Moderator" button is there. If we're on a thread and things go off the rails, we can jump on it. If something is going on to where we're not on there, it does take someone reporting something to catch our attention. That might come off as "inconsistent," but it's really nothing more than we're not seeing everything being posted.

7. Vombatus

The most effective policing is self-policing. Think twice and question your motive for posting.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Or you can be an adult and just leave it alone. There are too many posters on this board who feel they NEED to have the last word. Sometimes it's just better to take the high road and walk away.

And, like Shoeless Joe said, this is coming from someone who's never been part of a locked thread.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What does the fox say?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get that, but from my experience and others I have spoken to, the responses to "Report to Moderator" have been equally uneven, if there is any response at all. I tried it once when I first joined the board. You know what I was told? Handle it myself. The result? An ugly flame war because some veteran posters didn't like a newbie standing up for himself.

I can give you another example by PM if you like. It really doesn't belong on an open thread. Aside from spam and that one incident, I haven't bothered with the "Report to Moderator" function since. It just doesn't seem worthwhile. Also, you end up with a lot of childish crap like what TSP just posted.

12. Vombatus

Ok, lock the thread now to fuck over Gator and Shoeless Joe.

Draft saved Draft deleted