1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are we allowed to talk about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Are we allowed to talk about Penn State?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not that any of us don't want to "allow" political threads, Gehrig.

It's that there are too many people on here who don't have the ability to discuss politics without it turning into insults and stupidity that drives others away, and way too often spills out all over the rest of the board. Not to mention the posters who are part of the problem, but constantly complain to the moderators of the board about "the other guy." -- clueless that to that guy, THEY are the other guy.

We tried over and over again to find a way to keep the board open to everything and anything. We gave it how many chances? We've asked people to be cool. We tried to put rules in place. We gave it its own thread. But there are too many posters who are unable to control themselves, and unfortunately several of them are still here and clueless to the fact that they are part of the problem. So it doesn't change.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My two cents is that I am so with the mods on this.

The usual bunch have zero ability to speak civilly regarding Team Red and Team Blue. It makes for an unappetizing forum to read the rants.

That it really bugs the Team Red and Blue junkies is a cherry on top.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How many threads over the last 4-5 weeks have been jacked into general bitch sessions about fucking ignorant idiot treasonous destructionist teabaggers?

If there have been any at all, I must have missed them. Hell, even the thread about "The Shutdown and Me" has stayed pretty much clean of it.

Yet pretty much every day a half dozen other threads on every other topic under the sun get derailed into snarkfests about the evull socillist mooslim neegro.

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

When I chimed into that thread, I made a joke in hopes of getting people to lighten up a bit. But if the mods think that's a problem, fine.

With that said, would it not be worth considering the idea of establishing a separate politics forum and, if any thread gets like that, simply punting it there?

Because politics is something people like to discuss and, needless to say, it seems one politician in particular gets everybody up in arms.

ETA: Never mind, I saw what Ragu explained. Fair enough. But if some people can't get the message, then why not take action against the forum poster instead?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For the record, YF and I are cool as the other side of the pillow. We were not actually angry. We were respectfully mutually challenging the other.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for demonstrating what I was talking about -- this is precisely what necessitated that no politics rule -- which we actually hate. You just told everyone that you saw the thread veer toward politics, and you couldn't help yourself. So you came running in and tried to inflame it and get it locked.

But you're never the problem. It's that other guy who is always responsible.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I reported it once silently as I usually do, and here came another spate of snarky sniggering anti-Obama posts, darkly hinting that his educational interests have something to do with socillist indoctrination or something. I guess that stuff must be OK.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Once again, showing that you are, indeed, one of the "other guys." Stop it already.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's the Freemasons getting everything locked.

12. Let's go back to "Dick is full io shit" on who influenced Obama while he was taught law school. Without any proof such influence exists, stating a professor in a department would be influenced by a faculty member in another department is flat-out ignorant of what actually takes place in academia.

Draft saved Draft deleted