1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the odds this was a scam?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Mar 12, 2008.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

You're waaaaaaay too gentle. Once I know it's a bullshit call that should be covered by my registration on the Do Not Call list, I turn the tables and start asking them questions about their sexual history.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You may not need a landline. I don't have one and I still have DSL. Check into something called a dry loop.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's awesome. And incredible. The alphabet backward?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately with spoofing technology, you can't tell if the number on your Caller ID is an authentic one.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Guy calls last night to see if I want to "lock in" at the present rate for Rolling Stone to beat the inevitable price increase.

JD: "I locked in years ago when I got a lifetime subscription."

Guy: (pause, then hangs up)

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sadly, JD, the joke there is on you. A lifetime subscription to Rolling Stone? :D

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You're right. That was 20 bucks down the drain!

(OK, might have been 30. That's how many years ago it was. I think I got my money's worth, and I entertained you as a bonus!)

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Before I got on Do Not Call,, I used to get a bunch of phone solicitations.

When they would ask me if they could speak to me, I would tell them they could, but that I would charge $5 for the first minute, and $6 for each additional minute. Some would hang up, although it was funny to hear the callers from Asia stammering in confusion. One guy actually cracked up laughing (and no, I didn't buy anything from him).

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Got this call a few days ago. Except my car never had a warranty. I bought it used from some dude down the street. It was all automated, otherwise I would have stayed on the phone.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

think of the tickets she could help me avoid. too bad her bedtime is 8 p.m.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

These assholes finally stopped calling my cellphone when I pressed 1 and told them I was reporting them to the FTC, which I did. I actually got something back from the FTC saying that they're looking into it. I assume these were the same people who send me a postcard every other week with FINAL NOTICE--Extend Your Warranty on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted