1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the chances the BCS champion and AP champion won't be the same?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Charlie Brown, Dec 3, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Because they didn't win. While we have the benefit of hindsight with this, people were so caught up in the ending of the Michigan-Ohio State game last season, they didn't pay as much attention to the fact that Ohio State dominated the game until Michigan made a monumental, Buckeye-aided, comeback to make it close.

It was an extremely exciting game, decided by three points 42-39. It didn't automatically mean they were the best two teams in the country, which voters realized when they saw first Southern California beat Notre Dame a week later and then Florida beat Arkansas in the SEC title game.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If LSU wins extremely ugly and Kansas bulldozes Va Tech, there might be an argument.

It doesn't matter what Hawaii does (they're going to get boatraced by Georgia anyway).

It's time for a playoff.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Zero. You're as big a buffoon as the other buffoon on the BCS thread who said this will happen. OSU + LSU are 1/2 in the AP Poll. There is NO CHANCE the winner of a 1/2 matchup will NOT be 1 afterwards. 38 times before 1/2 in the AP Poll have played, and the winner was 1 afterwards EVERY TIME.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't often agree with TSP...but that is all there is to say abut this situation.

I repeat...NO WAY is the LSU-OSU winner not No. 1 in every poll/ranking/computer in the universe.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But Virginia Tech were No.1 in the computer rankings....

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not happening this year, unfortunately.

Just about the only thing that will go right for the BCS in the end.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER going to happen as long as #1 and #2 play each other. OSU and LSU are #1 and #2 in all the relevent polls!!!!!!!!!!! THE WINNER WILL BE #1!!!!!!!!!!

What's next, is someone going to ask if a TD will count as five points in the Super Bowl?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wait a minute, SC, are you suggesting Hawaii could get a piece in a two-champion scenario?

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

If unbeaten Auburn didn't get even a sniff of the AP trophy after 2004 as an anti-BCS protest, no way anyone's going to this season.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If they beat Georgia by 50, and LSU wins like a 6-3 game, I think there'd be a small chance. Do I think there is a snowball's chance in hell of both of those things happening? No.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Right idea, wrong team -- Utah.

12. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Just because I was bored, and I wanted to see how the stats proved or disproved my convictions....

Hawaii outscored their opponents 554-290 this season, which seems impressive, but considering their opponents combined record this year was 53-92, it really isn't.

Based entirely on win-loss record and not on the opponents strength of schedule, AP ranking, whatever, their only quality wins were vs. Fresno State and Boise state.
    The rest of the teams they played really sucked it up this year....

1-11, Northern Colorado
    5-7, Louisiana Tech
    2-10, UNLV
    5-6, Charleston Southern
    1-11, Idaho
    2-10, Utah State
    5-7, San Jose State
    4-9, New Mexico State
    8-4, Fresno State (37-30)
    6-6, Nevada (28-26)
    10-2, Boise State (39-27)
    4-9, Washington (35-28)
    So,

Looking at the stats, I change my mind.
    Hawaii has no shot in hell of winning the BCS title, even if they beat Georgia by 30, which probably isn't going to happen.
    It pains me because I'm a west-coast guy who thinks some of us in the media unfairly biases their opinions on east-coast teams more often then not, but there's no way Hawaii pulls off a Boise State miracle this year.
    Georgia's too good; they have more quality wins -- not going to happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted