1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the chances the BCS champion and AP champion won't be the same?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Charlie Brown, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

I'm interested in some opinions. Could an ugly LSU-Ohio State game produce two champions this year?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If Hawaii pounds Georgia.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think an ugly LSU win, and blowouts by either Oklahoma or Hawaii in their bowl games could produce two champions.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

No chance...none, zero, nada, zilch. ain't gonna happen!

No 1 plays No. 2. The winner is No. 1 regardless of how bad the game is or how big anyone else wins.
    It never has happened any other way and it's not about to happen now.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What if Georgia hammers Hawaii and LSU wins ugly?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The only reason I leave a slim chance of this happening is because this week's No. 2 was last week's No. 7. When it comes to the final two polls of the season, voters tend to take a longer look at who deserves to be where.

Theoretically, a No. 1-vs. No. 2 matchup ought to produce a clear-cut champion. But even now, it's not clear cut that these are the best two teams in the country.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While the precedent was set by USC and LSU splitting a title, USC was already No.1 in the AP poll then.

I'm guessing no matter how the game is played, since the AP No.1 and 2 are in the title game, we don't get a split title.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If it's a sloppy, turnover- and penalty-filled game, voters will re-examine who they vote No. 1.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While that may be the case, it's going to take a lot for the voters to drop both teams.

IMO, you can attribute the dramatic rises and falls in the polls this weekend to writers and coaches not wanting to put Georgia or Kansas ahead of conference champions, espcially in the coaches poll.

The coaches didn't want the possibility of either of those teams being in the title game without playing for their conference title to come into the picture.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

And they shouldn't be in the picture if they didn't win -- or even play for --- their conference titles.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And you, the coaches, writers and I are in agreement on this.

My point is I don't think you see such major fluctuations in any poll after bowl season ends.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Sorry, I gotta disagree. Look back to last year. Ohio State and Michigan ranked 1-2. If that's a great game, decided by one point, how can you say the loser isn't still one of the two best teams in the country and doesn't deserve a chance to play in the title game?

Draft saved Draft deleted