1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are some cool gifts to ask for for Christmas, etc...?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I always want cash or gift cards. If I need or want anything, I usually go and get it myself whenever the time arises. Even if the money gets put on regular expenses, that's money not out of my pocket I'll have a later date. I'm not real hard to make happy, but very exacting. So, for this year when Mrs. Joe asked what I wanted, I told her to just get me a new pair of running shoes, which she had me order myself. If I have my eye on a super-sized GI Joe with a utility belt, laser cannon, smoke grenades and a kung-fu grip, and someone gets me a super-sized GI Joe with a utility belt, laser cannon, smoke grenades and a kung-fu KICK, it would ultimately wind up in the closet because it wasn't the one I liked if you get the analogy.

Somewhere down the line a 12-pack of Sam Adams will show up, and while at the beach the week before Christmas we always go together to this Oriental massage place for 90-minute rubdowns (no happy ending, though).

My mom always gives cash. My wife's family does the gift-exchange-steal game where everyone buys a gift, then you draw numbers and can pick from the pile or take someone's that they've already picked. I usually wind up with whatever the shittiest gift is because I really don't like to play and just say "Yeah, give me that. It'll be fine." so as to move it along. When I do get something I'd like to have, I never get to keep it. I honestly have gifts I've wound up with through this unopened from 6-7 years ago. That's actually OK. I figure by now people will have forgotten them, and I can put them back into rotation! I think it's 3 or 4 years running now that someone has bought a home beer kit that they know I'd love to have. No matter how late in the game it is, and if I've managed to hold onto it, one of my brother-in-laws or nephews takes it from me. This year, I hope there are 2 or 3, and I won't choose one just for spite!

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nothing says, "Here, you do it," quite like a gift card.

Which is why I like them so much.

My son and his girlfriend just moved into a house, so I'll get them something "homey." My daughter is going back to school, so I'll get her something "school-y." Ella gets a bag of new ballies, a new stuffed baby and a big gourmet treat.

Me? I get to hang with all of them and that's present enough. But some sweaters and books would be nice, too.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

We already have a Tivo, so this should go nicely with the Ipad and Iphones.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

My mom asks us each year for some stores that we would like cards from, so that she makes sure we are getting what we want. This year, daughter's BF wants some new tools and asked for Sears, the daughter found a new desk she wants from The Container Store, the BF wants a piece of exercise equipment and it's at Academy and I need lots new clothes and my preferred store is Kohl's. My mom and dad love knowing that they contributed to something big that people will be using for a whole year. Then, she always puts the gift cards into some little nifty, cheap thing that she found that can be used as well (a new coffee cup for me, a reusable tote bag for my daughter, etc.)

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Congrats, yo!!!

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I ask for the same present as always...

a large steak and a blowjob

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

My parents and I are dead serious broke this year after a ton of setbacks, so we're not doing jack shit. And I don't mean that we'll say that and still buy something. I don't know how I'm paying the mortgage in January unless I get a job, so I give fuck all if someone gets mad that I didn't get a present. Christmas is dead in my house this year. I'm not even going to bother decorating.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wow. That sucks man. You don't need money to celebrate though, in all seriousness. Just family and love is all you need really.
    I know words might seem hollow, but best wishes for a brighter tomorrow.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

My family is 2,000 miles away, and there's no money to visit. Plus, my brother was deployed to Afghanistan. So, Christmas is pretty fucked all around this year.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Taylor's fall limited line includes a guitar with ebony body and sinker redwood top.
    It looks fantastic, and I'd bet that wood combo sounds great.
    Available in grand auditorium and grand orchestra.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/ps14ce-fltd

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Lower-cost guitar gifts:

I am addicted to my iRig. I've had it for almost a year now and really love it.
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/

And there's an iRig Pre that allows you to hook up a mic. I'm enjoying mine but still find there's a bit of hiss.
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpre/

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, check out this didley bow:

Very cool. You could make one pretty easily.
    It'd be fun to switch pickups.

Draft saved Draft deleted