1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Accent Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Sam -- you know you have the least Southern accent out there. Your results should come as NO surprise. Come on now. Oh, and it's COKE, not soda and not pop. ;)

My results - Midland, which is about dead-on since it includes southern cities. Add on the fact I love sayin' some ya'll.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The site tells me I have a Dumas accent.

I don't know how to take that.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

North Central.

Apparently I'm often mistaken for a Canadian

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Spoken like a true Jerseyan, Pastor.
    But since there are a few SJers from Western Pa. who are pretty cool, I decided to include the entire state.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It said I was Inland North, so if I ventured out, people would ask if I was from Chicago or Wisconsin.

Um, no.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not Wisconsin, and maybe not Chicago, but definitely from Springfield on down. To me, you don't have one, which must mean we have a similar one. I think. :-\

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did you have your tooth in when you took the test? Otherwise it could skew results. ;) ;D

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

32,900,000 people above and around the 49th parallel feel you are also mistaken as a Canadian.... :D

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but let's see ... my mother's from rural northeast North Carolina. Father's from southwest Georgia. I grew up primarily in eastern North Carolina.

Oh yeah ... stepfather is from upstate New York just east of Buffalo. Blame it on that or the three-plus years I spent thousands of miles away from the South. Still, that's a lot of years to relearn the local dialect. :)

Let me put it like this ... about five years ago, I went with my stepfather to Syracuse for a few days to help celebrate his sister's birthday. One of the wiseacres in the party walked up to me, and seemed to be amazed I wasn't wearing overalls with tobacco juice crusted on one side of my mouth. He was further amazed when I didn't produce a molasses-thick accent. Stereotype much?

And sxy ... you're right. In this region, it IS Coke. Problem is, I'm not calling Mountain Dew a Coke anytime soon. :D

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

this placed me in a chair on the sidewalk outside Satriale's.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Got me perfect -- Northeast ... New York, Northern NJ or Connecticut.

12. West for me.

Not even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted