1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Accent Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Apr 3, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Midland.. and it was so sure, it almost filled up the entire meter. Guilty as charged. Though I will say that it takes about 36 hours around my family in Arkansas to start talking like a hick.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

And here I thought you were closer to Odessa.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Midland

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well, once a Coug ...

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Bang-on, baby.

I actually found myself asking out loud, "Are you kidding me?" to some of those questions.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Inland North -- and soda is something you bake with -- it's Pop!

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Damn right! And they are chocolate bars, not candy bars.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

No, you want a Coke, which prompts the question: What kind?

Mine accent was Midland. I grew up in Georgia and proudly use y'all, but I don't have an accent.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, you have more of one than you think. It ain't Easterling, but it's no Ryan Sonner either.

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Interesting...

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm Massachusetts born and bred. Though I don't have the Bawstin accent.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

You've ruined my self image. I'm going to Waffle House.

Draft saved Draft deleted