1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Accent Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Apr 3, 2007.

1. This quiz tells you what American accent you have:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

It nailed mine: Northeast, Philly.

Wonder if Sportchick's will say Valley Girl.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dead. To. Me!

3. Just take the quiz and let us know what it says. ;D

4. sportschick

Midland . . . happy?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The South

Hasn't this quiz been posted before?

6. Possibly.

7. sportschick

It has, but it's always fun.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was Midland and it claims I am from flyover country. Makes me wonder how the rest of the people from the Northwest talk that I don't.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Midland/Northeast. Spent the first 30 years of my life there so they nailed it.

Angola, I don't think PNW's have a native accent, so many transplants from the Midwest, etc.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mine claims "The Inland North"

Let the laughter ensue ... wrong region, wrong part of the country. For starters, a carbonated beverage is a "soda" to me, not a "pop" like it is to that part of the land.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Mine said midland, too. It said I was probably from the Midwest (nope), but that I could be from a big southern city like Atlanta or somewhere in Florida (nope). It did say I would be good for radio or TV (yep).

I was born and raised in a town of 12,000 in the deep south, but I guess almost 10 years in a college town and around this business has helped me shake the pussycatree accent.

EDIT: LOL! I'm guessing there's some software that changed the next to last word of the original post. The sentence should read "... the country accent" but I spelled country phonetically in the manner a southerner might say it. Thus, "See You Next Tuesday"-ree turned into to pussycatree. Oh well, much more amusing than talking about country accents. wtf?

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Mine is "The West" which is apparently the "lowest common denominator of American speech."

I don't know if I should be insulted by that or not.

In many broadcast schools people are taught to speak like Northwesterners. You'll fit in anywhere, except we call fizzy beverages "pop."

Draft saved Draft deleted