1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What about your eating habits?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 11, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is mostly for the second-shift, always-chained-to-the-desk folks. I guess this also could go on the LiveSTRONG thread, but I didn't see it right away.

I've developed some pretty bad eating habits working the desk the past couple years, and no matter what I seem to do, I can't seem to break them. Yes, much of it is willpower, and I will admit to falling short in that department. Are there any tips that you deskers can provide on how to eat better? Any ways to cook stuff in the microwave at work that isn't frozen pizza or a Hot Pocket?

I've packed on 50 pounds and I'd like to methodically see it go away. And it isn't, even with me going to the gym 3-4 times per week, since I'm still eating like a pig.

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

If it didn't come out of the ground or off a vine, then don't ever chew it after nine.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I bring in leftover pasta or whatever (I'm a vegetarian, so it's often weird-ass stuff) and warm it up in the microwave. That's worked for me.

I think the biggest problem as a desker is the desire to just sort of graze all night. If all a person ate at work was a meal, regardless of its caloric value, he/she/it would probably be OK. The almost constant snacking is what kills us. I cut that out and lost a hella lot of weight and I've kept it off. Just my experience, obviously.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Grazing is the perfect word.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's just a matter of establishing limits. Maybe easier said than done. Hit someplace like Walgreen's or the organic/health food section of the grocery store. Those places have healthy food if you know where to look for it. For example, Quaker has bags of chiplike cakes that have much less fat than chips and taste just as good, if not better.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The other thing I really like are the 100 calorie packs of cookies, crackers, snack mix, etc. It's all premeasured so you don't have to worry about doing that yourself.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

What I found when I was trying to lose weight and started looking at my diet is that it's often like one or two things that are really screwing you up. For me, it was Coke and really bad carbs, like pasta and rice.

I cut those out -- completely. Pasta was TOUGH. Ate that stuff damn near every meal. Haven't had a bite in over two years now. I drink Coke Zero and I subbed sugar-free cookies in for any snack I might want. If you want something not so sweet, try peanuts or pork rines.

I went the serious low-carb route to lose a bunch fast. But I've been able to keep it off by not going back to the same old stuff.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've made some major changes to my eating habits in the last 10 months. At my last job we had a "snack cabinet" with tons of processed snacks and free soda. It was a great perk, but bad for me.

Now I don't keep change at my desk (can't hit the vending machine without it), make sure I come into the office with water/juice/coffee, I keep granola bars and instant oatmeal in a drawer, and sometimes I'll show up with pre-cut fruit or veggies to snack on. If I'm going to a game, I try not to rely on the concessions: I'll pack food or snack before/after instead.

I've had to commit to making the time for cutting fruit, making sandwiches, doing "good" grocery shopping instead of just running through the drive-thru or the 7-11. I've also had to make choices in what I buy, because fresh food is expensive. I've had to cut back on other things.

I ain't perfect. My vice is caffeine. And there have been nights where I've hit Taco Bell on the way to a game. But I figure if I can do good about 80 percent of the time, I'm doing all right.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

For myself, it's all mental.

I know what to do/eat, yet for whatever reason, can't follow through. It's now to the point where my physican has to say something to the effect of "you need to make changes -- or else" to get the ball rolling.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Eat a good meal before coming into work so you don't crave take-out later. Bring healthy snacks like fruit with you. Oh, and exercise. I also get up from the computer and walk around a bit to get the circulation going.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I usually bring a meal with me. Most nights I'll bring a salad, some grilled chicken (or grilled salmon), and steamed veggies with me. An hour or two into the shift I'll pop the chicken/salmon and steamed veggies into the microwave and heat it up. Other nights I'll stop at Subway, get a 6-inch turkey sandwich and regular Baked Lays and have that for dinner.
    In terms of snacking I'll either have a 100-calorie pack of popcorn, 100-calorie pack of cookies, or I'll bring a South Beach or Atkins bar with me.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I eat healthy, dammit! A whopper with cheese has veggies, milk products and meat! And fruit, if tomato counts.

Draft saved Draft deleted