1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What about fish who have jumped the boat?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This is getting to be epidemic in northern Florida.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_on_fe_st/odd_leaping_sturgeon;_ylt=AnfvyMOWpbjy5JBoavgrQOMuQE4F

ROCK BLUFF, Fla. - A woman was injured over the weekend by a leaping sturgeon, the latest incident involving the flying fish on the Suwannee River, officials said.

Tara Spears, 32, of Bell, was knocked unconscious by the animal on Sunday while boating on the river north of Rock Bluff, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reported.

She was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and was expected to recover, the agency reported.

The large, prehistoric-looking sturgeon have hard plates along their backs. They can grow up to 8 feet long and up to 200 pounds.

In April, a leaping sturgeon severely injured a 50-year-old woman from St. Petersburg who was riding a personal watercraft on the Suwannee River. She suffered a ruptured spleen and had three fingers reattached by surgeons, but she lost her left pinkie finger and a tooth.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I always love when they shows clips. Just get a big laugh out of some sucker who gets smacked in the face with a fish and falls in the water.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

and then sinks to the bottom of the lake with bubbles floating to the top...well, maybe not that much.

How do you go about catching these fish, with a baseball glove?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

8 feet, 200 pounds? I'd recommend one of these....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Leaping lizards sturgeons!

6. How about a jumping shark?
    [​IMG]

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ask and ye shall receive.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I didn't see that they could grow to be that big. I would just back away and let someone else catch the gills in the grill.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Colton

Colton Active Member

ThreeBags: great clip!

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

She should just be glad this didn't happen:

[​IMG]

Oh, and be careful when googling images of "Free Willy." :eek: :-X

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Slippery suckers!