1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What a weird couple of days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Oct 25, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We had a 10-page section on Friday, then 8 for Saturday, on top of the 12-page GameDay tab.

Typically, that would be 4/6 or maybe 6/6.

(We have gone to two-section ROPs and everybody, it seems, wants color. With our older press, that creates a lot of gymnastics to get all the color slots needed.)

You sure can do a lot when you have that many pages during the week.

The downside?

You sure have to do a lot when you have that many pages during the week.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um...I have no idea what 4/6 or 6/6 or ROPs are.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe Henry will explain this in English.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

4/6 and 6/6 are the amount of pages he normally has on these days. rop? i have no clue.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

C'mon, guys, the extent of my journalistic experience is sleeping with a sportswriter for 20 years, and I know it means run of press.

6. You started a thread to tell people you worked hard the last few days?

Am I missing something here?

7. imjustagirl

I have never heard the term "run of press."

And what does "4/6" or "6/6" mean in terms of "pages he has?" April 6? Four in one section, six in another?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And he apparently is complaining aout having too much space to fill...something that has become a foreign concept at most newspapers that are cutting the news hole to nothing.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The ROP is the main paper. Typically, features sections, special sections, early runs, etc., are known as "early runs", while the "live" paper is the ROP.

10. imjustagirl

Then what's a two-section live print? Does that just mean two editions?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe it means that the 10 page section was split into two pieces, 4 and 6, and the 12 page college section was split 6 and 6.

We used to do that for our Sunday section, with the second section having a mini front with "Sports Part 2" at the top.

12. imjustagirl

Thank you to all of you. Sorry we had to take up almost an entire page of replies trying to figure out the first one. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted