1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What A Night!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So what do you do when you're at the beach and it rains all night? You go to the local bar to see the Gin Blossoms play. It's like 8th grade alllll over again. At least they were smart enough to realize that everyone paid $15 to see them play "Hey Jealousy." because they even prefaced a song saying "before we play "hey jealousy...."

Actually it was a fun show, but became quickly apparent why they didn't ever make it big after the one album. What a bunch of wusses. They should have always been a bar band. Though then we'd never have heard "Hey Jealousy."

Half the songs they played I recognized. The other half were songs I didn't. Two of them were off their new album.

One cool thing was, when they sang "Hey Jealousy" the singer would reach into the crowd and take the cell phones of people who were holding them up for their friends, and he'd sing with one phone in hand and the mic in the other. It was actually pretty cool. I just hung out with half a dozen girls, some of them lesbians, some of them just hot girls having fun. I felt like I was in with the in crowd.

By new album I hope they meant the one they last made in 1995. Because if they're recording a new album now, well no wonder why the recording industry sucks so much these days. Sadly I think they meant they have a new album coming out this year or right around the time "Chinese Democracy" comes out.

I missed seeing Cowboy Mouth at the same bar yesterday. They put on a hell of a show. But their drummer/front man played "Found Out About You" with the GB tonight. And it ruled. Made for a great night. And now I'm drunk. On Allison Road. I lost my mind. And then found out about you. Found out about youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. That's what happens when it rains.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Cowboy Mouth is a helluva helluva live band. I wish they'd get back out west soon, but they're still committed to playing the Southeast, raising money for New Orleans relief, and I can respect that.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Cowboy Mouth rules when they play live. Last year, I had a blast with them. Better than Gin Blossoms, who were still fun all in all.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I saw them in 1993 (freshman year) at Mem Aud on Ohio's campus. Good show. I'm now going to go dig out that CD.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Damn, Chick, you are OLD! :D

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh what a night. Late December back in 63....

Never mind me. Carry on.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I saw them in high school and hooked up with the guy who would be my junior prom date during the concert. Hearing that CD brings back great memories ;)

10. KP

KP Active Member

I didn't say she looked like a dog.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's a hound. As in "Release the Hounds!" :D

12. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

the gin blossoms' lead singer and principle songwriter was definitely a wuss when he shot and killed himself in 1993.

Draft saved Draft deleted