1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whaddya mean ya don't tip?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 19, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did you have access to a different story than the one posted?

The story didn't say the bartender had the kids arrested.

The story didn't say the restaurant comped the meal.

That's all beside the point.

The policy of the restaurant is that an 18% gratuity will be applied on parties of 6 of more, It's not a tip, it's a service charge

My problem is: don't have Philly cops something better to do than arresting these kids?

My math tells me that 18% of $73.00 is $13.14, not $16.35.

How do six (or more) people go into a bar and only spend $73.00?

And yes, it's absurd.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Did you hear about the dyslexic guy who walked into a bra? ;D

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And after the restaurant figured you out, you'd probably wait half an hour for a beer.

And another half hour for your burger

And as an extra bonus, a little sneeze on the bun.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm waiting..................:)

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Adding the service charge only makes sense from the server's perspective.

Large groups are a huge amount of work, and they don't turn over as fast. One ten top can eat up half a server's shift. And if you run your ass off for half a shift and get stiffed? No good.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Is this the same guy who can't figure out why people stop at "POTS" signs?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

LOL, yeah, maybe.

He may also be the dyslexic/agnostic/insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes. I think so.

Read this one.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Time-In-Prison--70426052.html?yhp=1

After the $73 bill came, the group paid for food, drinks, and tax but refused to pay the tip. After explaining the bad service to the bartender in charge, Pope claimed he took their money and called police. The couple was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car.

The owner admitted that the group waited unusually long for their food, but said the pub was extremely busy that night. He said managers offered to comp the food, a claim the couple denies ever happened.

Believe it or not I don't disagree with what you are saying in concept -- but my point was this - if you are willing to comp a $73 meal which the owner is quoated as saying he offered to do - why call the police about the $16 service charge?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

These tipping threads reveal a lot about those who post on them.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I tip in relation to the service provided. Period.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

You really don't think waiters put forth a little bit more effort when their tip is not guaranteed? We're not talking about high-end places, just your average restaurant. "They take pride in their work" you say. Really? Yeah I'm sure waiters are so damn proud that they're waiting tables for minimum wage.

If tips are not designed to add extra incentive to the wait staff, then please tell me, what in the world are they designed for?

Have you ever worked in a tip job? You don't work for the meager hourly wage, you work for the tips. The hourly wage pales in comparison to what you make in tips. You think waiters won't slack off a little when they know they're getting the same amount of money no matter what?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've worked for tips--that's why I'm talking about this.

You're missing the point.

Tips are by their nature arbitrary.

You can give the best service in the world and some hick from Bumfuck USA can decide he/she doesn't like your hair, your ear ring or your shoes and stiff you. So the incentive argument is hit and miss at best.

So you think it's fine for people in the restaurant business to work for wages well below the poverty level and have to perform like trained seals in the hope that you MIGHT toss them an extra buck or two?

That's as close to a class-based form of renumeration as you can get.

Draft saved Draft deleted