1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We've all got new jobs! Subscription sales!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doggieseatdoggies, Sep 10, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but that's all freddy knows how to do

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why do I have an awful attitude? This business is a shambles and I think the reasons I point our are legitimate reasons for the decline of the business. My company doesn't think I have an awful attitude. I work my 60-70 every week, get paid for 40 and produce, produce, produce. Why is that a bad attitude? I'm trying to push the blame where I think it belongs.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Because you make prejudicial comments about all news reporters (and, for that matter, all non-sports department employees). Everyone knows the business is struggling; that's hardly a bulletin-worthy release on this board. But the only thing you add to the discourse most times is general-purpose fistshaking, which might make you feel a little better in the shot term but does nothing for anybody in the grand scheme.

If you have legitimate beef, you should be taking it up with them. If they won't budge, then you need to make your next move. But just because you're in a bad situation doesn't mean all x are y or no z are x.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And you write down your exact hours and submit them for your paycheck. And you keep records of this. If they give you any problems at all, you own them forever.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

All right. I'll tone down the venom. My point has been made to anybody who reads the board with any regularity.

6. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

I don't know - we'll wait and see. I just thought it was a lame idea and it was proven so by the results. There's a lot -- a lot -- of animosity in the building because the "hits" from the company haven't been shared across the board.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Let's not go throwing a blanket over everyone there, Fred.

I know PLENTY of news writers who work their asses off, a lot more than some sports writers I know. Some of the hardest workers I've ever had the pleasure of working with are on the news side.

It goes both ways, sir.

Edit: I posted the above without reading the rest of the thread. Goes to show just how ignorant Fred's comment was. Truly clueless. Dude. All you do is whine and complain. If you hate it so much, GTFO. Either that or STFU. Or any other four-letter acronym that might apply here.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, you give them a choice. You tell them that you can do A., B. C., and D., in that time. If they want you to do E., they either pay you the OT, or you won't do one of the other tasks.

Document your work on a daily basis. Make lists. When they fuss, show them the lists. If they threaten to fire you, threaten to file a complaint with the Labor board.

If stuff doesn't get done because you leave after 40 hours, then stuff doesn't get done. Of course the company is loving you now. You're working for them for free.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Perhaps the pay of being able to cry about how many extra hours you work is worth more than the OT?

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I think the bottom line is journalists work hard and advertising execs suck.

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

At a place I used to to work, we'd run daily sports briefs, you know someone hosting a basketball camp, a charity golf event, things most sports department do.
    One day the ad sales lady and managing editor come over and tell us we need to take paymeny information over the phone because those are now considered ads and we will be charging for them.
    Since most of these calls go straight to sports and sports worked nights, we were in charge of collecting payments, either over the phone via credit card information, in person or have the person mail in a check before running these briefs.
    This policy did not last long.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't mind that they should be considered ads part, but I'm not taking payment info. If the paper is getting ad revenue, one rep should work nights.

Draft saved Draft deleted