1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We've all got new jobs! Subscription sales!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doggieseatdoggies, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a story. This is another reason sports writers should put down all their hours worked. Do you ever see a news writer work more than 40 hours a week? No fucking way. Do you ever see a 9 to 5 ad guy willing to work, oh, at night to help out in this instance above?? No fucking way. I wonder when sports writers first were expected to work 60 hours and get paid for 40? 30 years ago? 40? It's been that way forever. Sports has forever been a different animal compared to the other clock punching departments.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I know lots of news reporters who work more than 40 hours.

And my rag had this same promotion. I magically didn't sell any subscriptions.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Fredrick, I'd be happy to introduce you to my news-reporter wife, who will happily kick your ass from here to craptown for the suggestion that she's a clock-punching 40-hours-and-out person.

There are some things to complain about. This isn't one of them.

4. Fredrick

I'll bet she gets paid for every extra hour she works. I've yet to meet a sports writer paid for his/her overtime work. It's just expected, wink wink, to work 60 and get paid for 40 everywhere I've been. Other departments working overtime gets you nominated for employee of the year; not sports.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I get paid for every hour I work, and it's frequently overtime.

You know how you do it? Just don't let them make you work for no pay.

I pray for the day an employer subtly suggests I work for free. I will own them.

6. Fredrick

In theory, the places I've been it's supposed to "even out." You'll work less in the summer. Uh ... not quite.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Then don't do it.

8. Fredrick

Rick, when you've worked 4 editing shifts a week at 9-10 hours a clip and then are told to cover a high school game Friday night and a small college game Saturday and work on features on Sunday, you are going to work more than 40 hours a week. You have no choice in the matter. If you want a job, you do it or get canned. Everybody else is doing it, so you must do it as well.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If so, sounds like you have a valid suit to file.

10. Fredrick

How do you have a valid suit when it's what this industry is about. If the small town writers/desk people on here would tell us the truth, you'll hear plenty of stories of people working six to seven days a week at 8-10 hours a day, more some days.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I got paid OT in every shop in which I was a full-time non-salaried employee. I wasn't the only one.

I know news writers who worked 70-hour weeks, doing interviews for business stories in the morning, a city council meeting in the evening and a 3 a.m. murder scene.

You've got an awful attitude and you whine too god damned much. If you have a a valid concern, then raise a stink to the people who matter and find a better job if they don't react, but for the love of God, stop making over-the-top and broad-brushed comments about news reporters and management fucks and 10 a.m. meetings and the evil internet and all the other hallmarks of your god-tier trolling, and be thankful you still have a job when a sizeable minority on this very board don't.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

She occasionally gets overtime, but nowhere near for every hour she works. I've worked in news and in sports and my experience is that everyone works pretty hard.

Fredrick, you really need to stop talking about about which you know not. You're starting to piss me off.

Draft saved Draft deleted