1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Western Digital external hard drives suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They suck. They suck, suck, suck. I've just had my third My Book crap out on me in less than two years.

Each time, it came after a power outage due to a thunderstorm. But we didn't get hit with a power surge. We pay the local electric company for a housewide surge protector, plus I've got the Mac and all the other computer gear plugged into a surge protector that's plugged into a surge protector. Triple protection!

The latest one is the most maddening. Knowing bad weather was approaching, I turned the hard drive off and unplugged it. Now it won't power up at all.

So if you're looking for a hard drive to back up your computer, don't buy Western Digital.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it. Mine has been good. You're scaring me.

3. Yea, haven't had any trouble here with mine.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ummm...

I keep mine unplugged.

Trying to power a computer back up when power is flickering can crash a drive. It did on my work computer.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have a Maxtor and a Western Digital. Haven't had a problem with either one. Yet.
    It's early.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Considering I've got six years and three shitty laptops worth of stuff saved up on my Western Digital, I am afraid. Very afraid.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's just it. I didn't do that with any of them.

First two, power goes out. I shrug and restart everything the next day.

Third one, see storm is coming. Power everything off, unplug external hard drive from power source and the USB port.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mine just plugs in with the USB. No other power attachments.

I have flash drives that have been through hell and back and seem fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted