1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

westboro clowns sink to a new low

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by albert77, Jan 11, 2011.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that it's common doesn't make it any less awful for the afflicted families.

it's easy to say people should ignore those nuts. but try putting yourselves in the shoes of the green family or a family burying their son killed over in iraq. with your overwhelming grief it would be tough to buck up and ignore the animals spewing hatred at their loved one's funeral.

i was listening to an adam carolla podcast the other day. he pointed out that we have laws in this country against things like over-tinting your car windows and yet we can't outlaw these nuts. i'm all about free speech and i'm a lawyer so i understand the protected interests at play here but carolla has a point.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The fact that it's hard for them doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do for the rest of us.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

One of my friends organized a counter-protest of those WBC inbred fucktards a couple of months ago. The wack jobs didn't bother to show up.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

True, if they were to go inside the church or step on the cemetery's land.

What they want to do is harass the people as they go into the church/cemetery and stick in their craws. They don't have to go inside to do that. They just have to be within shouting distance.

5. lono

lono Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Why is everybody getting so agitated about the World Baseball Classic?

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I would like to do a story/see a story on this.

They came out and said they were going to protest in my hometown. My hometown is Good Ole Boy, USA, and they were going to protest in the Redneck part of town. It was so bad, the county sheriff said they'd show up if they could get around to it, saying, "It'd work itself out."

I'm convinced, beyond the shadow of a doubt, my town would have made national news for hospitalizing one of these people, if not killing them ... had they showed up.

Did they get scared? While they probably should have been, I don't think so. I don't think they ever intended on coming.

I think their deal now is hitting a few, getting national attention. Then when they just say they're coming and everybody gets in an uproar, their job is done and they don't come.

If that's their approach, it'll only work for a little while, before they have to ramp things up another notch. I'm sure that's when someone will be killed.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

MSNBC just reported that the SCOTUS ruled in favor of the speech. Haven't been able to find a link to the opinion yet.

EDIT: Here's the link:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-751.pdf

8-1 decision with Alito dissenting.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/02/AR2011030202548.html

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good deal.

Alito dissented last year in a free speech case, as well, the one about crush videos and animal cruelty.

I imagine this is a good canary in the coal mine that the video game law in California is going to be struck down. Very speech-friendly Court.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As much as I detest what that "church" does, the Supreme Court made the right decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted