1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Virginia vs Louisville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Nov 2, 2006.

?

Who will win tonight's big matchup?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2006.
  1. West Virginia wins

59.5%
  2. Louisville wins

40.5%
  1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

1. Ohio State
    2. Michigan
    3. West Virginia
    4. Miami

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I can remember Oklahoma playing Tulsa IN TULSA three years ago on a Friday night. At least Thursday has become accepted as THE college football night. Friday? In the same city as Jenks and Union? C'mon...

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Louisville beat West Virginia.... now if Rutgers upsets Louisville Nov. 9 does Rutgers go Top 10 despite its limited ability on offense?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Interestingly, this poll question is open till tomorrow. West Virginia still has a sizable lead. Wonder how long that'll last.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Undefeated with a win against a top 10 team ... I sure would hope so.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yep, cause no one in America could possibly beat either of those teams ::)

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So if there's a rematch, the Nov. 18 result will stand regardless? Brilliant.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well this game sets up the rest of the season nicely...
    I still say and I got a good six-pack of beer bet with Michael_Gee that says Ohio State and Michigan play twice this season. All it takes is a classic game with OSU winning or a Michigan upset, to get the rematch. If these are the five teams, which do you pick to play for the title? Big 10 winner, Texas, Louisville, Big 10 loser, Notre Dame-USC winner. The most compelling match-up would be a Big 10 repeat, assuming it was a very good game. And yes, I know the SEC is out of the mix, but unless Florida runs the table and spanks Auburn in the title game, that whole league is out of the mix, with the possible exception of Tennessee, but they need to put an USC-style whipping on Arkansas and run the table.
    Anyway, I had Louisville in my five-game pick'em, so I'm cool with it. Now Superior needs to deliver the 'Cocks past the Piggies and I'm golden.
    Fun with headlines
    Nutt pulls Dick from No. 2 hole as Hogs beat off 'Cocks

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And Texas would never be able to hang with USC in 2006 ...

And Ohio State would never be able to hang with the Canes in 2002 ...

And Alabama would never be able to hang with the Canes in 1993 ...

And Penn State would never be able to hang with the Canes in 1987 ...

And the Canes would never be able to hang with Nebraska in 1984 ...

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You see it as a matter of upstart programs, I see it more as upstart teams. Most all of those teams I listed above were seen as double-digit underdogs. Written off as having no chance. And yet, when you play the game, things happen.

Miami was still an upcoming program when it upset Nebraska to attain elite status. I just don't see any reason a Louisville or Rutgers or Boise State couldn't do the same when given the chance, like the Canes.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So might Louisville, which has a pretty good quarterback.

Oh, I watch the games. But I also know enough to know things happen when teams play, things that might never account for during a million hours of pregame hype on ESPN, theorizing which past national champions USC would have beaten before Texas put an end to that lovefest.

No way Penn State should have beaten the Canes in 1987 -- too slow, too bulky -- but they did. Miami might have won that game nine out of 10 times, but Penn State won that night. And that's all that counts.

So excuse me if I'm not ready to award Ohio State or Michigan the national title just yet. It's still only Nov. 3.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

On a NCAA Football '07 set to junior varsity level, yes, it's plausible.

Draft saved Draft deleted