1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Virginia University football reporter, Morgantown, WV.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

West Virginia just hired former Southern Miss SID Mike Montoro as its new football guy. Good news for the person who gets this job...

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

small yet extremely productive = overworked, underpaid and you better like it.

3. Retire?!
    Wow!

The D-P is a nice, paper owned by the Raese family, who also owns several radio stations. They are a good operation. You won't get rich working there, but you won't be underpaid either.

If you like the country Preston County, a stone's throw from Morgantown is ideal. Morgantown itself is - ehh.

4. What's the status of this job? Have they brought anyone in yet?

5. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

this one has been quiet for a few days, any updates?

6. thebigd

thebigd Member

I applied and re-expressed interest, but have heard nothing

7. ArmanTamzarian

ArmanTamzarian New Member

From what I know, they've brought in a few and are bringing in more this week. I know a handful of the ones interviewing. There were more than 100 applicants, from my understanding, and they trimmed the list to 10 or so before bringing people in. They probably need to bring in someone ASAP, because their new paginator/copy editor cannot start until September, and their WVU beat is currently unmanned.

8. doublej

doublej New Member

I received a formal rejection letter in the mail today. It sucked, but I can't remember the last time any shop bothered to do that.

9. thebigd

thebigd Member

Ditto here.. Got an -email from Eric Herter. That would have been a sweet job. I'd love to work for a paper that cares about sports. Not too many around these days

10. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

I think that has been mentioned at least twice in this thread ...

11. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

This relates not to WVU but the Big East. Although they went young because of budget, I believe the Newark Star Ledger made a good hire with Alex Delanian, who at 21 will be the second football writer and have basketball beat. Not bad for a recent college grad. Also says a lot about where business is headed, even with top newspapers.

12. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Thanks for checking in, Alex.

Draft saved Draft deleted