1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Memphis Three

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 19, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Wouldn't it seem natural that the dad's DNA would be on his son anyway? I bet you could find it on yours, like me, mine.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Depends on the DNA's source. A stray hair? Sure. Ejaculate? God, I hope not.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One of those stories in the "previous news" package, can't remember which one, said there was a hair that was "consistent with" the DNA of one of the stepdad's friends. The defense attorney argued that the remote location made such a placement very unlikely to be accidental. The stepdad said he must have picked up the hair while sitting at his friend's house, then brought it home where it transferred to his stepson on the couch or something, then the kid wore it to the site of the killing. A far-fetched scenario to say the least.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, and Orville, sorry I combined the two stepfathers into one on that post. My bad.

Mara Leveritt's "Devil's Knot" is a damn good read on the WM3 case. Just avoid some of the pages if you have a weak stomach. Of course, she's been tweeting like crazy today ... http://twitter.com/#!/freebirdmojo

5. printdust

printdust New Member

My enduring memory from all this came from a relative on my wife's side of the family who was an executive in the W. Memphis hospital the day Byers wife came in freaking out and saying she needed a mental health person. This was like sometime between the murders and the trial. That can be read a number of ways, but from what we were told, Daddy Byers was a real nutjob.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He comes off pretty weird in the documentaries.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

I remember a kin of one of the WM Three had a baby that was found dead in her bathtub in 2000. The cops said something about there being a domestic dispute to the press, which got the publisher of the paper involved because the detective had been "misquoted." Well in a one on one with the publisher the detective said well, he did say that but didn't think the paper would quote him. Turns out it wasn't off the record but it was his understanding that most of what he said was always off the record. Then there were rumors that the publisher was actually the third wheel of the triangle. Anyway, the whole damn case got dropped.

There was another major WM cop case that was severely bungled too.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heard yesterday there is a third documentary planned to air this fall on HBO. I'm assuming HBO will eventually re-air the first two, which are outstanding.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Heard one of the film producers interviewed this afternoon. They were doing final edits this week and expected to be done Monday in time for a debut at the Toronto Film Festival. Then they got the call to come back and shoot a new ending.

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Maybe the greatest understatement in the history of this board.

Watch the documentaries.

Although those kids did wear a lot of black and listen to Metallica....

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If there was no DNA at the murder site from any of the 3, I am glad they are free.

Draft saved Draft deleted