1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Memphis Three

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 19, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Looking at the old photos, they were far from innocent.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Wait, Echols plead not guilty. Miskelley took a deal and I thought the other one did too.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Two men, except at gunpoint, cannot hold three kids on bicycles at bay.

4. Where did you read that; about pulling all his own teeth?
    Could you post a link or send it to me?

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, Miskelley confessed but the other two didn't and were tried together. But even forgetting Miskelley's mental state, there have been other cases where confessions weren't even true, most infamously the Central Park jogger case.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Huh?

7. As I said, I suspect they are not innocent.

If these fucksticks maintain their innocence fine. But DNA evidence casts some doubt here.
    I think the right thing to do would be to reopen the investigation - and defer to a higher investigating arm; state police or FBI, if possible.
    Start over and let the chips fall where they may. Either find the rest of the killers or the real killers.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry just a bad attempt at sterotyping because those guys seriously look like they were guilty of something if not murder.

9. I went to look for that ...
    Hobbs' (the stepfather of Stevie Branch) DNA was found at the scene ...

John Mark Byers, The stepfather of another one of the victims, was the guy who had his teeth removed - after the first trial according Wiki.

These guys would seem likely to be the killers.

10. LongTimeListener

OK I can follow you there ... I'd say they were guilty of smoking too much pot at least.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Re: West Memphis Three

The DNA evidence neither puts them in nor excludes them. It just puts in someone else.

The cops coerced a confession out of a minor with a 72 IQ.

The prosecutors used Stephen King novels as evidence of Satanism.

The foreman of the jury introduced the confession during deliberations in the trial of the other two despite the judge's explicit instructions not to.

This case was fucked up 15 ways from Sunday.

12. LongTimeListener

Byers was quoted in that linked story saying he didn't believe the guys did it and is glad to see them get out. An earlier story (in the C-A's "previous news" section) talked about how Byers and one of the convicts had gone from calling each other the murderer to being pen pals.

W-E-I-R-D.

Draft saved Draft deleted