1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Memphis Three

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Expected to be released today.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/aug/18/plea-deal-release-west-memphis-three/

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

What a mess. I'm glad they're getting out finally.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

A plea deal to get out? Either they did it or didn't do it. If the DNA exonerates the three why are they being forced to plead guilty?

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Indeed.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

"A tentative deal would include a legal maneuver allowing the men to maintain their innocence claim while admitting that prosecutors likely have enough evidence to win a conviction, the person familiar with the case said."

http://wm3org.typepad.com/blog/2011/08/apnewsbreak-deal-could-allow-3-men-to-maintain-innocence-claim-in-ark-boys-1993-deaths.html

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Something just does not smell right because if the DNA exonerates them why plead? One of the defendants' attorneys, Riordan, is an excellent attorney from around here so I'm inclined to not second guess him though. From what I read, the problem is that its not clear cut, probably just enough for a new trial right now, but not exoneration because the key evidence is the confession of someone who was a boderline mentally retarded kid (the writer's choice, not mine) and the DNA places a 4th person but does not appear to exclude the three. Weird.

7. Technically it's an Alford Plea ... allowed to argue you are not guilty, while conceding the prosecutor has enough evidence to convict you.

The whole ordeal is a mess ... I don't know how hard a look they took at the one kids' step dad (Hobbs and his friend) but one story I read said they were never considered suspects.
    If they were looked at and cleared ...well that's one thing. The fact his DNA and his friends' was at the scene ...

I suspect these animals are probably guilty of the crimes of which they were convicted.
    At any rate, it's a fucking shame for the families of the dead - because of the fucked up way things were handled - they get 20 years for three grisly murders.

Or the real killers were never brought to justice.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Think about the fact that the Norway "terrorist" is going to get approx. 27 years max vs. how there is outrage here that the boys, perhaps guilty, have only served 20. Perhaps we need to rethink our sentencing here.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

They plead guilty in the first place, and were convicted. How the hell do they change their plea?

How the hell did the chief satanist Echols go into detail on the cutting on the kids when that info had not been released by the cops?

Maybe they can join up with Casey Anthony tonight for a satanic orgy. Except the dumbass Miskelley won't know what to do.

I remember a story about Echols' girlfriend's mom living in a trailer that when the reporter got there, noticed it had scattered cat feces. Yeah, these guys are clean and normal.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Orville, a hair with DNA matching the stepfather was found inside one of the knots on the rope binding one of the kids. Also, he pulled all of his own teeth after the cops started sniffing around about trying to match bite marks on one victim.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

And despite the original pleas, the West Memphis criminal investigation division is one of the biggest bumblefuck organizations in the history of law enforcement. They swept shit under the table, told the local press shit that was half-cocked, sometimes fucking up their own investigations through them....just a bigass mess.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Are they still animals if they're innocent?

I'm guessing someone like, oh, Cameron Todd Willingham would have taken a deal like this and been okay with people wondering, "Come on, if you're totally innocent why would you take this deal?"

And scattered cat feces, as far as I know, doesn't equal murderer. Just as, in Willingham's case, the fact you wear a Led Zeppelin T-shirt doesn't make you a killer.

Also, printdust, they pled not guilty.

Draft saved Draft deleted