1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Coast SJ.commers: Have a double-double tonight for Mrs. Snyder

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Matriarch of In-And-Out Burgers dies:

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — Esther L. Snyder, who founded the In-N-Out Burgers restaurant chain with her husband, has died. She was 86.
    The family declined to release further details including the cause of death, said Bob Emmers of Sitrick and Company, which handles public relations for the chain.
    Snyder, who died Friday, was reported to be in poor health according to a lawsuit filed earlier this year by a former executive, who accused Snyder’s granddaughter of attempting to engineer a coup to force her out.
    In a statement, Lynsi Martinez, praised her grandmother as a “great lady.”
    “She was an inspiration for all the associates at In-N-Out and for all the people in the community whose lives she touched over the years,” Martinez said.
    Snyder opened the first In-N-Out drive-through stand in Baldwin Park in 1948 with her husband, Harry Snyder. In-N-Out now has 202 restaurants in California, Arizona and Nevada.
    The Synders’ business plan was simple: Serve fresh burgers in a “two-way speaker” drive-through concept. While her husband ran the day-to-day operations, Snyder was in charge of the books and occasionally helped out in the kitchen by molding meat patties by hand and slicing tomatoes and onions.
    Snyder grew up in Sorrento, Ill., and attended Greenville College and later Seattle Pacific University, where she graduated with a zoology degree in 1947. She met her future husband while working as a manager in a Seattle restaurant.
    The couple had two children, Guy and Rich, who ran the company at different times. When Harry Snyder died in 1976, Rich Snyder took charge of the burger chain. After Rich Snyder was killed in a 1993 plane crash, Guy Snyder led the company with his mother until his death six years later of an accidental drug overdose.
    “Mrs. Snyder showed us all how to be a great leader and businessperson. She expected hard work from associates and in return she believed in rewarding them well and treating them as members of one family,” said Mark Taylor, In-N-Out vice president of operations, who will succeed Snyder as president.
    In January, company executive Richard Boyd filed a lawsuit claiming Martinez and Taylor wrongly tried to fire Boyd and that Martinez, who is Snyder’s only grandchild, tried to overthrow the founder. In-N-Out attorney Arnold Wensinger said the suit contained inaccuracies. It was eventually settled in May and terms of the deal were never disclosed.
    Funeral arrangements were pending but services will be private.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

[​IMG]

Mmm ... I loves me some animal-style double-double with a neapolitan shake. And some extra spread for the fries. That might be my Death Row meal. Fuck, is that a to-die-for combination. :D

3. Garner

Garner Member

That is the best looking thing I've ever seen. Mmmmm, I'm heading over there after work. Just thinking about those perfectly molded meat patties and crispy onions, I wish I had a double-double right now.

Sorry to all you suckers east of Arizona, but you're missing out. Oh, except for everyone in Calgary. In-N-Out is good, but Peter's Drive-In is legendary.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Too late for today since I'm already at work, but I know what I'm having tomorrow for lunch!

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Those of us who live north of Redding, Calif., must do without as well.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Is it sad that I know where the northernmost In-N-Out is?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Animal style is the ONLY way to go.

Great place. Hopefully the granddaughter won't screw it up .... other than to expand. Just to the Rockies.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've eaten at the In-N-Out in Baldwin Park and even bought a T-shirt there. Didn't know that was where the chain was founded. (That particular store was new, however.)

RIP. That family's been through the tragedy/scandal mill, huh?

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Which is not far from the westernmost Waffle House, on the west side of Phoenix.

And for you Vin Scully fans, does that give us the easternmost in quality, westernmost in flavor?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Perhaps easternmost in quality, westernmost in ambiance.

And I have not eaten at the westernmost Waffle House, but I have passed by it and noted that it was. Although I don't miss Waffle House when I'm in the West nearly as much as I miss In-N-Out when I'm in the East.

11. ogre

ogre Member

There isn't another fast food chain burger that comes close. Period.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

"Hey, Betty. You look hungry. How about lunch at In 'N Out Burger?"

"I'm not hungry."

"OK, forget the burger. How about just the In 'N Out?"

"Ugh."

"OK, how about just the In?"

Draft saved Draft deleted