1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were the 1993 Mets really that bad?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mike311gd, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think the Tigers had one of the highest payrolls in baseball when they had that record.

That Mets team had several of the worst people (not players) who have played baseball lately.

I think this was the year when Saberhagen sprayed reporters with bleach. And with Kent and Bonilla on that team he wasn't even the biggest douche on the team. Although, Kent was young and it's possible he hadn't turned into the insufferable douchebag that he's been for the last decade plus.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Why did you even bring this shit up?

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I wish they'd won 49 fucking games. It was 43, and they celebrated like it was the World Series when they avoided tying the 62 Mets. It was the very definition of pathetic.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

And he's here for whoever needs it:

[​IMG]

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They probably had damn near the lowest. They were playing virtually, with a Triple-A squad.

C Brandon Inge- at his worst, no less.
    1b carlos pena - again, not the carlos pena that we see today, but a baaad carlos pena
    2b omar infante
    3b eric munson
    ss I dont even know. Ramon Santiago? Maybe?
    rf hiram bocachica
    lf bobby higginson
    cf craig monroe
    dh god only knows

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe that's where Kent learned to be a douchebag.

Was 93 the year Bonilla threatened to kick some writer's ass during a group interview?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think that was later since, if I'm not mistaken, the incident you're talking about was in regards to a book about the Mets that was coming out.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Mets had so, so many problems, and, BYH, they certainly did earn every loss. They were just terrible. I just find it fascinating that a group of players of that caliber, historically -- overpriced as they were at the time, about $45 million in 1992; and winning only 72 games at that -- could only collect two months' worth of wins.

From that team, there are likely two Hall of Fame players (Murray's in, and Kent's got a good shot), one sure-fire candidate-gone-wrong (Gooden) and a somewhat borderline case (Franco, though he'll never get a snifff). Add in one of the Mets' all-time great hitters, record-wise, and it's still staggering to me.

I'm well aware games aren't played on paper. But if they were, this team -- as well as the team in 1992 -- should have threatened to the middle of September, at least, like they'd done for almost a decade previously.

No one will look at that awful Tigers team and think what could have been. Pena's pretty much the only guy who really underachieved in comparison to what he's done in the last couple years. I mean, the 1993 Mets didn't exactly field a Hiram Bocachica -- by the way, one of the greatest names ever -- as a full-time player. They kept their Jeff McKnights and Ced Landrums on the bench where they belonged.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Eh. I'm done looking for a cure.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

Was the book called "Bad Things 'Bout The Mets"?

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

This is as pointless a thread as I've encountered.

Congrats.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The 2003 Opening Day Lineup for the Detroit Tigers:

Gene Kingsale CF
    Omar Infante SS
    Dmitri Young LF
    Bobby Higginson RF
    Dean Palmer DH
    Carlos Pena 1B
    Eric Munson 3B2
    Brandon Inge C
    Ramon Santiago 2B

Mike Maroth P

Other pitchers:
    Jeremy Bonderman
    Nate Robertson
    Steve Avery

Holy shit, who are these guys: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=2003&t=DET

Draft saved Draft deleted