1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're screwed ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck ...

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - BP Exploration Alaska, Inc. began shutting down the Prudhoe Bay oil field Sunday after discovering unexpectedly severe corrosion and a small spill from a transit pipeline.

Prudhoe Bay represents about half of Alaska's oil production and about 8 percent of U.S. production, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Company officials said it would take days to shut down the oil field. Once completed, it's expected to reduce oil field production by 400,000 barrels a day.

"We regret that it is necessary to take this action and we apologize to the nation and the State of Alaska for the adverse impacts it will cause," BP America Chairman and President Bob Malone said in a prepared statement.

Officials learned Friday that data from an internal sensing device found 16 anomalies in 12 locations in an oil transit line on the eastern side of the field. Follow-up inspections found "corrosion-related wall thinning appeared to exceed BP criteria for continued operation," the company said in a release.

That's when workers also found a small spill, estimated to be about 4 to 5 barrels.

BP says the spill has been contained and clean up efforts are under way. State and federal officials have been informed of the decision.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

$4 gas days

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Four to five barrels?! They care about four to five barrels?!

Five years ago, they wouldn't have cared about 4,000 to 5,000 barrels.

Hello $3.50 gas.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've really got to get my bike fixed.

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I believe I'll go fill up at $2.89 before going to bed.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'm buying a Harley tomorrow.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Harleys are the gas hawgs of the two-wheel world.

I recommend a Suzuki Burgman.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

or a bike with pedals

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Explore Alaska. Before the oil companies do.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Have we now reached the tipping point? You know, the point where what we're paying for gas is not just eating into an average American's discretionary income but into the income they need to pay for bills and essential services?

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Join me in bending over the table.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Reached? If I can't stretch the 1/8 tank I have for another week, I'm not eating.

Draft saved Draft deleted