1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're Number 2!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Who gets to play LSU in the BCS National Championship Game?

1. Oklahoma State

52 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. Alabama

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Stanford

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

Take the top five Big 12 and SEC teams and the bottom five Big 12 and SEC teams and match them up. For a real body of work, how does that come out?

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Printdust, that might be a good point if all the teams in both conferences played all the top teams in their conferences. That is not the case. Alabama did not play two of the top five SEC teams.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All it means is that Bama's opponents collectively sucked ass, save Arkansas and LSU (yeah, Penn State is not nearly as good as its record). With tougher opponents come tougher games, and being able to win close, tougher games is a valid way of measuring a club's mettle, too. (And stop with the Texas A&M old saw; anyone going over its schedule would know the freakish nature of its results and how it dominated several powerful opponents for long stretches)

4. printdust

printdust New Member

I'm simply saying match them up. In the oddsmakers' corner:

Does OSU beat LSU? Nope.
    Bama beat K-State? Yep.
    Ga beat Baylor? Maybe not.
    Arkansas beat Oklahoma? Considering the way OU's pass defense has played, nope.
    S. Carolina beat Missouri? Yep.
    Miss State beat Texas? No.
    Vanderbilt beat A&M? No.
    Tennessee beat Texas Tech? No.
    Kentucky beat Iowa State? No.
    Mississippi beat Kansas? Yes.

That's four SEC teams, six Big 12s. Most of it at the bottom of the conference, which to me shows how bad the bottom half of the SEC has sucked this year.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Well, I think Alabama's strength of schedule reflects that it played more of the lower half of the conference than the top half (mostly because it missed the top two teams in the East).

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

LSU (probably) over OSU
    Bama over K-State
    Baylor over Georgia
    Oklahoma (probably) over Arkansas (for sure if Broyles were not out)
    Missouri vs. S.C....depends on which version of either team shows up
    Texas over Miss. State
    A&M over Vandy
    Tennessee vs. Tech...pick 'em
    Iowa State over Kentucky
    Ole Miss or Ole Miss' cheerleaders over Kansas

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm going to have nightmares about being forced to sit through a hypothetical Ole Miss-Kansas matchup. Forget waterboarding. Show the Gitmo detainees that game and they'll be singing like canaries by the end of the first quarter.
    Probably the two worst BCS conference teams in the country.

8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Unless you are voting or are the type that can influence voters, it doesn't matter.

And entering this week, most voters felt Alabama was overwhelmingly the second best team in the country. They had proven their worth (again to the people who vote and in computer rankings). How do enough of those same voters now say
    that Alabama should be punished in an idle week.

Either way it won't be the worst voting ever.
    Even if Alabama is not picked, it won't be the worst screw job of all-time and certainly not in Alabama's time. Look at the the 1966 season, as I have posted on other threads, if you want to see chaos in the polls and bowls.

9. It can't be the worst screw job if Alabama is not picked. It's not a screw job at all if Alabama's not picked. If Alabama is not picked, the voters and the BCS got it right.

Now, if Oklahoma State's not picked, it's the worst screw job since USC in 2003.

10. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

So for the last few weeks and before the Game of the Century, the voters got it wrong?

11. No doubt in my mind. The voters were 100% wrong and have one week left to correct a very serious error. Alabama has proven that it is not the No. 2 team in the nation.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

What exactly has Alabama done since LSU to warrant playing inn the title game? Wins ove GEorgia Southern, Miss State and Auburn? Please they lost their biggest game of the year at home, failed to win the division and make the conference championship as a result. I would vote for OSU.

Draft saved Draft deleted