1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're having an election, too!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 8, 2008.

1. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Not only that, but the idea of someone's religion entering the discussion as relevant would be seen as laughable.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I thought Canada was run by a council of tribal chiefs. The things we learn here!

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Harper has tried to describe this as an election without issues.

I think there are enough issues to hold us over for six weeks, no?

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Is this the First past the post system? Call an election and cast ballots six weeks later? I would welcome that here in "Murica.

Question for the Canuckistanis-- Does the Bloc ever receive votes outside of Quebec? Do they have any other party platforms other than separation? Just curious.

5. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

The Bloc doesn't run any candidates outside of Quebec. Their main plank is Quebec nationalism, but beyond that, they run on a general socially-democratic platform, health-care, education, yada yada, but with a specific focus on getting stuff for Quebec.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Are they still pushing for secession?

7. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Officially, that's the Parti Quebecois's (a provincial party in the Quebec National Assembly) job. Both the referenda on separatism occurred when they were in power. With support for succession running at a pretty low level right now, the BQ hasn't been pushing this angle too strongly, mainly going on a "Quebec for Quebecois" angle. It's still a part of their charter though, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted