1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wendys = Masturbation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, I'm watching a show the other night, and a commercial for Wendy's comes on, and the background track is the Violent Femmes "Blister in the Sun". Ex-squeeze me? Now, I know there's some dispute as to the actual meaning of the song, but common folklore has captured it as a song about masturbation.

Ya think the marketing geniuses knew this, right? Or wouldn't they go with something a little less connected to the act of self gratification?

Or perhaps are they saying eating at Wendy's is as pleasurable as rubbing one out?

I'm confused. I thought McDonald's had the secret sauce.

One thing for sure, there must be a market out there for Billy Squier's "Stroke Me".

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Bodies and beats, I stain my sheets"...nah, not about whacking off.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hug? I thought that was a song about a guy struggling with a deep vein thrombosis. Sure sounds like it.

4. My girlfriend she's at the end
    She is starting to cry.

If there were an 8-second reference in there, I'd think someone owes BYH some royalties.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, if they're peddling beef with a song about male masturbation, it won't be long before either Long John Silver's or Cap'n D's uses "She Bop" to sell their fare from the briny deep.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Femmes' bassist Brian Ritchie, who now lives in Australia, wrote:

"For the fans who rightfully are complaining about the Wendy's burger advertisement featuring Blister in the Sun, Gordon Gano is the publisher of the song and Warners is the record company. When they agree to use it there's nothing the rest of the band can do about it, because we don't own the song or the recording. That's showbiz. Therefore when you see dubious or in this case disgusting uses of our music you can thank the greed, insensitivity and poor taste of Gordon Gano, it is his karma that he lost his songwriting ability many years ago, probably due to his own lack of self-respect as his willingness to prostitute our songs demonstrates. Neither Gordon (vegetarian) nor me (gourmet) eat garbage like Wendy's burgers. I can't endorse them because I disagree with corporate food on culinary, political, health, economic and environmental grounds. However I see my life's work trivialized at the hands of my business partner over and over again, although I have raised my objections numerous times. As disgusted as you are I am more so."

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/music/soundcheck/articles/femmeschili2.html

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I always thought it was about record industry people.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think you're right.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Nice comeback by Ritchie.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

El Pollo Loco just released a commercial featuring the Divinyls' 'I Touch Myself.'

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Remind me to stay away from the Frostys.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Thanks for this post because when I first saw the ad I turned my girlfriend and said "They sold out."

Now I see "they" is not the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted