1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well that was a brief honeymoon: FireNickSaban.com goes live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 27, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I can't WAIT to hear the explanation for this little gem...

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Not even close. There'd been fire John Cooper sites up for several years before that happened, and he was gone before Zook was even hired at Florida. For some reason every national story on Zook felt the need to mention that site for his entire UF tenure, which is why some people think it was groundbreaking.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the reason FireRonZook.com was so groundbreaking is exactly what you said ... it was on-line for his entire tenure. People didn't seriously start wanting to fire Cooper until his record against Michigan got embarrassing (not that they had the Internet back then, but you know what I mean).

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Just for you, Snabler...

http://loserswithsocks.com/2007/08/23/the-great-crimson-lie-repost/

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Maybe you are right, but the atmosphere wasn't as friendly for Tuberville after he penned the column to do away with the Confederate flag to help the program attract higher profile recruits.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

First off, they don't need to recruit the nation. About 95 percent of their players are kids from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida. Secondly, nobody puts as much money into their program as Alabama. Get a kid on campus and let him see the kind of pampered existence and absolute worship they will enjoy while in Tuscaloosa and the deal is pretty much sealed, which is why even Mike Shula managed to keep the Tide among the national elite in recruiting. The only time the Tide's recruiting lagged was during the Mike Price debacle period. Talent level has never been an issue in Tuscaloosa.

7. Hammer Pants

Several programs put as much or more money into their programs.

8. Lester Bangs

Didn't you see Boots' 50 States in 50 Days special? He had a great segment on "The SEC Through the Backdoor."

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Actually, I live in Mississippi. I was being tongue-in-cheek there. It's still funny to me how people ask if you "get the internet at your house."
    And you can buy beer in most places on Sunday. Rankin County (on the east side of Jackson) not only doesn't allow that, they don't allow hard liquor sales of any kind.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sunday's headline on C1 in the Birmingham News: Back to reality

11. Lester Bangs

I'm sorry, I should have been more precise in my wording and simply said that Alabama puts an astonishing amount of money into its program, which is why it will always recruit competitively.

12. Hammer Pants

Absolutely. Wasn't trying to be a smartass. Just making sure.

There were roughly the 05-06 athletic budgets (all sports)

Florida 76 Million
    Auburn 71.4 Million
    Georgia 70 Million
    Alabama 69 Million
    Tennessee 66 million
    Kentucky 62.7 Million
    LSU 60 Million
    South Carolina 58.7 million
    Arkansas 48.7 Million
    Vandy 40.5 Million
    Mississippi 33 Million
    Miss St 28 million

Dang. If only the SEC had money. And think, I'm sure 06-07 was even more.

Draft saved Draft deleted